Land Rover Theft warnings

Thought I'd pass on an article in the local press from Cheshire Police warning about a rising number of thefts of Land Rovers, 8 in the Macclesfield area and a further 2 in Warrington & Runcorn. Several of the older vehicles were taken without keys so you are advised to keep it locked up or fit a steering wheel lock of some type.

Reply to
hugh

Ditto for Sheffield area too .. Police putting warnings out via Twitter and Facebook!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

It is three years ago now, but two days after my retirement my beloved 90tdi was stolen - literally retirement party Friday, day off Saturday, open the curtains Sunday am "and there he was gone!"

Twelve years of love and affection out of my life forever - parked on the road as oil dripped on the driveway

The replacement is on the driveway (rubber mat under the drips), alarm/immobiliser in place and a ruddy great disklok on board

Sympathies to anyone who has their Landy nicked

Julian

hugh wrote:

Ditto for Sheffield area too .. Police putting warnings out via Twitter and Facebook!

Reply to
Julian Pollard

Reading this has given me a bit of a wake up call! I don't use any mechanical anti-theft device on my 90 overnight and I know I really should! So what's the best single mechanical device I can buy to immobilise the truck?

I want something simple and quick to fit, possibly in the dark, and that won't take up too much floor space when not in use.

I'm thinking either a wheel lock(Disclock) or a pedal lock maybe? Any advice appreciated from those who use, or have used them. The truck doesn't have any alarm or immobiliser fitted/wired in either!

TIA

Neil

Neil

If its a diesel a concealed switch in the feed to the stop solenoid makes a good immobilizer.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In message , Jeff writes

Wouldn't the thieves probably put a direct feed from battery to the solenoid to bypass the "ignition" switch.

Reply to
hugh

Perhaps, but they are more likely to just break the ignition switch, which they have to do anyway to release the steering lock.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Doesn't that cause a problem driving when it is foggy??? (;-))

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In message , Jeff writes

Maybe he doesn't drive when it's foggy :-)

Reply to
hugh