Leather cleaning

Hi All

I've had my Disco 94 ES since nov last year and now the weather is turning for the better i'm about to spend sometime correcting/fixing various items with it.

The trim is a cream leather and seems to have never had much TLC given to it and in places its very tired and begining to crack amd split. I've got some Auto glym leather care stuff but i want to clean the leather first and remove what seems to be dirt/marks.

Any ideas how to do this? I seem to have saddle soap banging around in my head but have never used it so wouldn't even know if that would be the answer.

Reccomendations please

Ta Mark

Reply to
Jinx

Clean it with any old leather cleaner - they're all fairly aggressive and do damage, however, it's the aftercare that's important when it comes to leather. Saddlesoap is very, very good, however there are other oils and waxes that help the leather to 'repair' itself. If you have areas where it's cracking, you need to gently allow whatever you use to seep in - saddlesoap will do this. Most importantly, try not to ever let the leather 'dry out'. I use (cough), Vaseline hand and nail lotion (non-greasy, pink bottle in Boots or other chemist). This has the slightly added advantage of removing nasty smells-of-dog :-)

Reply to
Mother

We have a leather cleaning kit for our cream leather suite, but I find the best bet is a scouring pad & some fairy liquid. You don't need to scour hard. The sofa comes up a treat.

David

Reply to
David French

Reply to
kim ashmore

I;ve used baby wipes in the past to clean leather. Good for removing squashed fly's from motorcycle leathers. Mild enough & cheap to buy.

I also use them to remove sticky finger marks from TV / monitor screens. A fairly universal cleaner really..oh they clean the kids up pretty good too.

Reply to
Ged

I'm with you on the baby wipes!!!!!

Stew

Reply to
90Ninety

I can recommend

products. My ES leather seats(grey) were really cracked and brown in the front. I used the cleaner, whichgot bucketsful of dirt out of the leather and then finished them off withthe rejuvinator oil, which brings the leather up nice and supple and with anatural finish IE not a false glossy/polished look. I couldn't believe how much improved the seats were. The passenger seat came up to almost 'as new', and while not quite as good, the driver's seat was unimaginably improved. The driver's seat was so brown and glazed I was considering looking for a replacement, but no need now.

Pricey stuff, but in my opinion well worth it. I've (previously) used the Autoglym as well, but IMHO, it isn't a patch on the Leathermotive.

Davey

Reply to
Davey2

agree on the above Leathermotive treatment which I used on an old suite. After you use the restorer the leather will feel softer and you get the distinctive leather smell back.

We were advised against using saddle soap etc. (too late) as they are too harsh for leather (which is why we went to Leathermotive).

Once you get the seats up to scratch I would recommend Autoglym leather polish and their cleaner to keep it that way. That's what I use on our 2000 SE7 and it is worth the investment and effort.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Morton