Jeckyl & Hyde Laguna dTI

Continuing from my recent posts about my gremlin riddled Renault,

I've put a new expansion tank cap on it, but that seems to have remedied it ......in the afternoons only...

At the start on my working day, I struggle to start it up from cold, then start my trip across the Pennines to Leeds. Climbing up the main M62 ascent to Rishworth Moor, its temperature goes right up to the dangerzone well past the 3/4 mark on the gauge, then comes down and settles at just under the 3/4 mark.

No water is getting lost or any suspect smells of hot engines. I can't tell if the fan is cutting in either. ( Note to all petrol car drivers...don't flame me to say 'just leave it idling on the drive to check the fan'....its a TDI diesel, they DON'T get warm on idle. I had an Audi TDI for 3 years and never heard the fan trip on after covering 60000miles in it.)

anyway ,then I park the car in Leeds Nr Elland Rd Stadium for the duration of the day.

4.45pm signals the return journey. After starting immediately (if amb is
8°C), the car does its ascent out of Leeds up to Gildersome J27. The

temperature goes up to the 1/2 way point and doesn't go past, remaining at that point whether I leather it or feather it. I know there's a big black cloud over Elland Rd stadium at the moment. I'm sure the negative vibes are affecting this car.

How can a car appear to boil over in the mornings but behave in the afternoons ? Its like trying to understand my wifes various moods.

If I bought a sensible car, I would have just put a new stat on it, but this bitch has a non-split 'now superseded stat housing which I'll have to replace for £75 before I even put a new stat in it. I'm sure the board of directors at Renault must drink Horlicks to sleep them sleep at night ( a la UK TV ads! )

All I can think of is:-

  1. T-Stat is possessed by demons
  2. Coolant system is 'closed pressurized'. Somehow the relative ambient is unpressurizing it overnight and correcting it through the day....hhmmmm bizarre
  3. Temp sensor on the T-Stat housing is possessed by demons

Can anyone pls help , or even suggest a good exorcist in the West Yorkshire area..

Thx

Reply to
Ebodski

Ambient temp affecting gauge?

Anyway, as it's not boiling over or losing coolant, I'd just live with it. It's not worth the sweat.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

That sounds more like the normal crap temperature guage, you could always tape a max min thermometer to the radiator top hose if you're worried

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hello Ebodski.

11 Feb 04 18:32, you wrote to all:

E> 1. T-Stat is possessed by demons

What manufacturer? It seems to me that you have a Golf ABD motor disease, when nothing can be done to cure the same problem but to obtain and install a new original thermostat.

Sergey

... Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

--- GoldED+/W32 1.1.5-031023

Reply to
Sergey Vizgunov

It's almost as if Lagunas don't like mornings. Maybe it's the car equivalent of a Gallic shrug? Can a vehicle have an owl personality type? :o)

Reply to
Carl Bowman

A Gallic shrug is what Renault train all their dealer part&service personnel to give after they rip you off for fixing one of their inherent design flaws.

BTW today Laguna has been Dr Jeckyl ( he was the good one right !! )on both my outward and return journeys. Notably today the ambient has been mild a its been a dry day.

I'm getting more and more convinced its the temp sender being too sensitive or something.

Reply to
Ebodski

Point a hair dryer at it on cold damp days to see if there is a difference. At the least, you'll entertain the neighbours !!!!

Reply to
Stuart Gray