Leather or Cloth Seats ?

I am researching into changing my 300tdi for a Series 2 Discovery and would appreciate comments from the group on leather seats.

Do they get hot and sticky in summer and freezing in winter.

Thanks Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Dean

Leather all the way if I had the choice, much more pleasant to sit on and don't get hot in summer. Can get cold in winter but often come heated which is the dogs doodas.

Reply to
Andy

Dogs like their doodas roasted? I have heated seats but rarely use 'em by the time they have warmed up enough you've heated the seat anyway. Leave the heat on and you do get uncomfortably hot.

Certainly not overly sticky in the summer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just curious but, how many dog's doodahs does it take to make a set of leather seats?

Reply to
Peter Harrison

I changed the seats to leather in the RRC and I still can't make up my mind after 5 years. Easy to clean, no heating but no problem in the winter but I do think the cloth was more comfortable for long drives above, say, 200 miles or so. Dirty job though so the cloth would have been knackered by now.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Leather but be absolutely certain the switches work properly. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Apart from my 1961 Jaguar which had 'sort of' leather seats our D2 is the first car I've had with the softer, nicer leather. I was worried about leaving a pool of sweat after a long drive (which I always used to in the 101 before putting cloth replacement seats in) but to be honest, they are nice and far easier to clean if you've been out in the rain and have jumped in muddy.

They also don't suffer from eau-de-dog as much as cloth seats :-)

Reply to
.mother

Leather can get very hot when parked in the sun. In the last two cars we had with leather seats we put seat covers on. In the winter I found the heaters worked well but didnt come high enough up the back rest. Leather can mark more sometimes, ie finger nails scraped across it. It looks nice but prefer cloth.

Richard

ps. It smells lovely!!!!!

Reply to
Richard

+1 on that. I would go for leather every time. Much easier to keep clean, much more resistant to wear and tear and, like the Landy it is in, looks better with a few character marks. Maintenance (when you get round to it) may be slightly more labour-intensive, but the smell when you have done it is marvellous.
Reply to
Rich B

My d2 has the suede leather, which is comfortable enough, no heating though. The suede does not wear well. It pills (if thats a real word) Now I have seat covers to protect the seats.

Reply to
madhatchetman