Lightweight with a TD5...

Hi! Its Christmas and so I treated myself to a landrover magazine. Now I want a landrover - do you see how this gets out of hand? Anyhow, rather than start with a nice easy project, my dream, currently, is to take a lightweight (CKD what you will) and make it into the meanest thing on the road (ha ha! Like I have the wherewithal or time). Anyhow the two things that picque my interest on this at the moment are: Could I fit a TD5 under the bonnet and are there any hard tops. Oh, and having made this beast, is there any way to make it more secure for long term (5 days) parking in a public car park?

Anyhow, happy new year - I'm off to salivate over the catalogue which came with the magazine - now, where's my credit card.

Philip

Reply to
pjh1

I think most of the members of this group have terminal Landroveritis - welcome to the club!

I'm sure it could be done, but "trivial" is not a word that springs to mind. I've a sneaking suspiscion that it would be easier to make a 90 look like a lightweight.

As above I reckon - anyone with a tow truck and a large winch is not going to have any problems with a lightweight (or any other car really).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

can you fit a Td5, yes, but the electronics make it at best 'difficult', better off with a 300tdi or it's 2.8 bigger brother (international engines, brazil).

seen them with hard tops, perhaps one from an '88 will fit, someone will know.

security, in a hard top you can fit an alarm with ultrasonics, you can also fit mechanical immobilisers to the steering wheel, pedals, clutch hydrolics and electrical immobilisers to the engine. but if they really want it they'll have it, better off having it look tatty and worthless.

happy spending :oD

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

On 29 Dec 2005 04:31:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net scribbled the following nonsense:

it just so happens I have a hardtop lightweight for sale......

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

why not go the whole hog and put a V8 in - just get a very big box of halfshafts to feed the beast. I have perverse desire to port the heads on a 2 1/4 I have to believe there is plenty of excess metal to play with and if other BL castings of the era are owt to go off horsepower to be gained Derek I don't have landroveritis now - I am in remission

Reply to
Derek

2.25 with go!

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

Thanks Mark interesting bit of info that, I'll get the die grinder warmed up + 6 to 15 bhp is well worth the effort.Add a better camshaft and we be rockin' Derek

Reply to
Derek

...and snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

There is an article in this month's LRO about engine swaps. Interestingly, the Td5 is NOT listed as one of the engines they suggest for a transplant to any LR vehicle. V8s, Tdis, Perkins, Nissan, Peugeot, all OK, but the Td5 doesn't get a mention. I wonder why?

The Td5 ECU takes signals from around 20 different sensors around the vehicle. For a proper installation, you would need all these sensors as well as the lump itself and the ECU, and the data to calibrate it all and make it actually work. There may be a way to bypass all this with a 2-wire system (as can be done with the 3.9 ECU), but I've never heard of it.

Stick with something simple like a V8. There's plenty of "wisdom" around on this topic, almost nothing on the Td5.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

A long delay in getting back to you - work seem to think that access to google groups is detrimental to my work! Strangely, they'll let me have ebay and google's search engine - ho-hum!

Do you still have it? Are there any pics/details on the web? Is it modified in any way?

Not that my wife will let me buy it you know!

Reply to
pjh1

Thanks for all your responses - It was good to se such quick and helpful responses. One day I will have one! I'm not too sure about the half shaft problem - sounds a little expensive and I don't want a particularly scrappy looking car as it needs to be parked on my drive some of the time - so I couldn't rely on that for security. Anyhow, I like my creature comforts so the internals were going to need a bit more luxury - looking through the window would show it wasn't just a workhorse. I'm still interested but I've not bought one - yet!

Reply to
pjh1

I tried to follow up and thank everyone for their help/advice but the google server failed in some way. I'm unsure if it managed it to post the message - so rather than double post I'll just saya big thanks to all the responses: Thanks!

Reply to
pjh1

On 8 Jan 2006 05:23:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net scribbled the following nonsense:

pics can be found at

Essentially as the army had, just with some 90 high back seats for comfort and parabolic springs, for comfort.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs