Looking for a defender snorkle

Anybody know of the various ones available, which one employs the largest diameter tubing? I need it to feed a 6.5 liter engine, and don't think the diameter of the paddocks offering is large enough. The Safari one may do, but I have no idea about the diameter, eccept that the one fitted to a disco 2 if I remembber correctly had about a 3 inch boar. Anyone care to comment?

Regards

Simon

Reply to
Simon Cochran

Simon Cochran uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Fit one each side and merge them?

How big is your exhaust bore? At the end of the day what goes in has to come out so if it's the same / larger bore than the exhaust I can't see an issue given we are talking Landrovers and not something thats critically fussy.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Chances are the pipes into/out of the air filter or some other similar location would be the pinch point rather than the snorkel, also surely what goes out would be more voluminous due to burnt gasses?

I can't see it being an issue either though, it's not an F1 car after all, or at least mine certainly isn't.. As long as it's at least the size of the rest of the tubing before the turbo then it ought to be fine.

Then you've got the issue of which way to face the snorkel mouth if it's a directional one like my Safari snorkel, some like the John Inman look with the mouth facing forwards and claim some kind of "ram air" effect, I go for the facing backward to avoid any bow wave getting sucked in, as if I'd go that deep anyway!!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The exhause is 3 1/2 inch straingt through without a silencer, however I doubt a safari snorkle is larger that that. lol

Reply to
Simon Cochran

Simon Cochran uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Sounds like a Jet ski ;-)

Drain pipe, sorted.

Reply to
Lee_D

A pig of a job to fit? :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

doesnt it get compressed at 10:1 (or whatever) between going in and coming out? so strictly the air in should be bigger? :) (now can someone point out the flaws in my physics!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Then it gets heated and uncompressed... so it's bigger.

Reply to
EMB

My 5.7 litre race car engine runs happily at 8000rpm via a 85mm throttle body that is fed air via a 90mm pipe. Draw your own conclusions.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Mon, 21 May 2007 23:08:50 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

I imagine it will. where it gets fun is calculating the airspeed in the pipe...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If my maths is right I think it would suck the cherries off a Bakewell tart at 15 ft assuming the icing is moist.

I'm having difficulty however calculating how far the roasted cherry would be flung out the exhaust.... Could you me more specific EMB... does it have an extractor system exhaust?

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Mon, 21 May 2007 13:06:34 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

you can see why forced induction systems are the way they are. Start working out the volume of air you have to push into even a modest-sized engine at ordinary speeds in order to make a noticeable increase in the available oxygen, and it's apparent that any ordinary sort of blower is just a restriction.

Reply to
Austin Shackles