Loose wire and missing wire after putting the engine back

I have just put an engine back into a Defender 300TDi. Everything is back in place but I have lost the feed to the heater plugs and I have a single core red cable (Sheathed in the black corrugated plastic) left over which comes out of a loom by the fuel filter and is a bit on the long side to reach the back heater plug.

Is this loose cable for the heater plugs?

Griff.

Reply to
Griff

In message , Griff writes

I take it the Defender was not originally a 300Tdi ? The fuel filter on a 300 Defender is mounted on the o/s/f wing right up the front of the engine bay.

If the wire is quite thick with a small ring terminal on it then it might be but there is only a one way to find out

Put a test lamp or meter on the wire and see what happens when the you turn the ignition on. Do no expect the power to stop when the timed heater plug light goes out but it will stop a number of seconds later.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Marc,

Thanks for your help. I have just sorted it out. The heater plug supply was found trapped between the engine block and clutch bell housing all after I laid across the engine and stuck my head down the back of the engine block. Obviously I got it trapped when I put the engine block back in.

As for the odd red wire, this is the power supply to the air conditioning which was a non Land Rover retro fit which explains the colour of the cable. This was found out when everything else worked and the air-con did not. The cable goes all the way round the engine bay so it was not efficiently installed and confusing.

Griff

Reply to
Griff