LR3 Engine Warning Light

My one year old LR3/D3 doesn't get to do many long trips, just a lot of short ones in (sometimes) deep snow. Last week the engine warning light came on when going up a hill on the longest run it's had for some time. It's filled with premium fuel and, yes, the fuel cap is screwed on tightly. It is booked in with the dealer this coming week to be examined, and I was told that it is OK to drive unless the light begins to flash. It isn't running rough or anything. A previous vehicle used to do the same thing on the same hill, but always it had fouled up a spark plug and changing the plug fixed it. Yesterday I had to make a trip to the airport and it took four hours altogether (only 200 miles, but rotten snowy weather) - I watched that light carefully, hoping it wouldn't flash, and it didn't. This morning the light went out after starting the engine in the usual fashion, as if the second long run had cleared the problem. My feeling is to keep the appointment and have it checked properly. Am I right in assuming this behaviour might be related to lots of short trips, and that the longer run really has fixed it?

Chris.

Reply to
Christopher Moss

You've probably answered your own question. Lots of short journeys is a sure way to wreck an engine, never getting hot and lots of condensate in the oil. Your long trip has probably cleared what ever sensor got upset. It's why a 2 year high mileage rep car with 80k on the clock is usualy a better buy than a five year old oap car with 8k on the clock, engine is probably f*%ked by then. If you have to do lots of short journeys, try and take it for a good run once a month, at least 30 - 40 hard miles. Battery will like it as well.

Sean

73FL74 101 GS 2000 110 Blingwagon
Reply to
sean101ryan