LT77 / LT230 and Tdi dimensions

Evenin' all,

As soon as Dave Junior number two arrives, and settles down I will be starting my Tdi 80" project trialler.

However, I have absolutely no patience and am trying to put some figures together. Money wise I have budgeted and then quickly ignored how much this is actually going to cost me! Back to the task in hand.......

I am using a 200 Tdi disco as a base, but have been informed by the Oracle at Whitbread offroad that i need to use a defender LT77 as opposed to the one in the Disco as it is a fair bit shorter.

Question for this evening is, and i'm accepting of the fact that I will be lucky if anyone knows, but how long is the combination of Tdi, LT77 (def) and LT230 together? Anyone know?

I also guess that it will be possible to put the Series 2/3 box onto the Tdi but don't know the size of those either.

Answers on a postcard please!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

The 80" has a very short rear prop and I would think the LT77/230 from a

90/110 will give you even less room but if no one gives you an answer before tomorrow evening I will measure them up and report back as I have all combinations.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Cheers Martin,

I did have an 80" before but unfortunately I didnt't build that one.

I would say that the prop on that one was about 12" long. With a combination of V8 and old Range Rover 4 speed box. Can't remember if its called lt85 or 95.

However, with this one at least i'm in the position to be able to move the engine forward if i need to. What i want to avoid is having the propshaft so short that it will ultimately limit the amount of travel on the back axle. Like i mentioned, i don't mind having to move the whole of the engine and transmission forward a bit if I have to.

I already have a good 200tdi engine which I would like to use. I'm assuming that the series box and transfer box will fit onto this engine seeing as people are putting Tdis into series vehicles now, but i would prefer to use the defender boxes as i'm thinking that they will be stronger as the Tdi will be tweaked for a bit more poke.

If you could come up with some measurements then that would be great. I trawled through the Land Rover official workshop manual but could only find chassis measurements.

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Dave R