LT77 Transfer Gear

Discovery 200tdi

LT77 Gearbox

When the output shaft from the gearbox, and transfer box input gear finally give up, which part usually fails first the shaft or the gear?

Cheers

Rick

Rick F

IME the shaft with the gear not far behind.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 18 May 2008 18:29:36 +0100, "Rick F" enlightened us thusly:

both.

or rather, don't bother replacing one and not the other. Equal wear on the one I took out of the disco I had then, which hadn't in fact failed, but was very worn.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'm now looking for another g/box as the sycros are weak on second so it's not worth re building this box. I know it's a lubrication issue with the gear and shaft but I can't understand why these should wear so much when the splines on the clutch don't wear and they aren't lubricated apart from a touch of grease when fitted. Pictures of the shaft and gear

1992 Disco 200tdi
Rick F

The clutch splines aren't driving the vehicle though so the load is completely different.

I got a recon box on the 110. Initially getting second was an art but it has slackened up nicely now. No doubt due to preloads on bearings.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Are they not? What is then?

Reply to
GbH

Ignore me - I mis read that. I'm thinking clutch forks. Doh!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You been on the beer?

Reply to
Nige

Feeling like s**te at the minute..... Ian_R has released an ancient rare Swiss Man-Flu in to the air and I think I'm it's first victim. It's real bad!

Took a sickie for the first time in 18 months last night :-(

But yes is the answer to the question! ;-) That said I've only just lined up my first can.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

YGM matey

Reply to
Nige

Definately a Wuzzz. The last time I took a sickie was about 3 years ago but I was in hospital for 3 days being given 1 gram (yes 1 gram) intravenous injections of penicillin every 4 hours.

Be aware of the early symptoms (mildly inflamed red tracks under skin that are tender) of cellulitis and *do not ignore* them! Took Incapacity Benefit for 3 or 4 weeks and it was a good 6 months before the affected leg was more or less back to normal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Kin'el!

Mine I think is the first of many from our latest Diddy_D. Always seems that they get a sniffle and I get totally grounded by what ever they pass on to me, oh the joy of parenthood! :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Rick Hi,

what we usually see here in Greece is the shaft going first. But when the symptoms are apparent it is a good measure to also change the gear since by then it also blunts the sharp edges of the splines. Blunt splines on the gear can easily damage the new shaft.

What we recommend over here is to change the shaft and gear on the same time. After all prices for the gear have dropped significantly and it is false economy not to change it. Especially if the existing gear on your car is not the drilled type. I would also suggest you fit the Steve Parker oil feeder plate.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Quite...

Are either at school yet? They'll bring all manner of things home to pass on from the simple common cold and head lice to chicken pox. Have you had that? I don't recomend having it at 42... It's very mild as far as feeling "ugh" is concerned but the spots are something else.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice