Military Land Rover project

Well, it's been a while since I posted, but here I am again...

I bought myself an ex-RAF 90 a while back, now drive it about back home in Scotland. But then I got into airsoft, and realised that if I wanted to use the Landy in games it would damage the paint. So the obvious solution is to get a second Landy.

The plan at the moment is to get an ex-military LHD 110, as cheap as I can find, remove the doors, windscreen, roof and stuff, and kit it out to look like a Wolf with the WMIK. I'll probably use it unmodified in-game at first, modding as and when my budget can take it.

So, what's the best way to go about it? The plan at the moment is as follows:

Get 110, presumably soft-top or hard-top with tailgate. Get the local smithy to build me the rollcage, pintle mounts, sand ladders and random accoutrements. Apply multiple layers of mil-spec paint to protect... well, the paint. Construct Lexan shields for the wing mirrors, lights and things.

"Stuff to bolt on" so far includes: Searchlight-type thing Spare wheel on side of roll cage Jerry can holder Stowage under floor Radio boxes Wolf-style radiator grille

Have I forgotten anything?

If anyone has any good pictures of the Wolf with WMIK, particularly detail pictures, they'd be extremely appreciated; advice on cheap and/or easy ways of doing things as well. Advice on possible sources would also be appreciated - and does anyone know where to get British military Landies in Sweden?

Oh, and what *is* behind that hatch on the side of the Wolf Landies?

Reply to
Torak

Best bet is to look on EMLRA forum, several people on there with Walt Wolves. Genuine Wolf parts are expensive but come up on fleabay regularly. Add the special wing air intakes to your list. There are huge differences between a Wolf and a standard 110.

The hatch on both sides is standard to all military 110s and is jerry can stowage.

Sean

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5NA Medway Military Vehicle Group
sean101ryan

Thanks!

(Air intakes... what will they think of next? ;-)

Reply to
Torak

Shovel,pick, sand-ladders,military lights tirfor roll bar etc

the piccys 90
or 109

Derek

Thanks!

Reply to
Torak

NProbs you might want to take a look at the May copy of LRO there is a - "what to look for in an ex military" along with some good photos article inside I was reading through this lunchtime Derek

Reply to
Derek

Yeah, spotted it in Tesco the other day. Couldn't have been better timing, really.

By the way, is there any way of making the doors quick-detachable? I'd like to be able to remove them easily when I get on-site, but still have the proper doors when driving on-road.

Reply to
Torak

Just thought of something else. The military Landies come with the 2.5 NA, right? (Assuming I don't find a genuine XD for thirty quid and a packet of Golden Wonder) So how difficult and expensive would it be to swap the 2.5 out for a decent TD engine, and which one should I then go for?

Reply to
Torak

In message , Torak writes

The 200Tdi is pretty straightforward swop (if has come out of a Defender) and makes a hell of a difference to performance. The disco ones have the turbo mounted differently.

Reply to
hugh

Sounds like a plan. What's it like for reliability? How big a hole is one likely to make in my wallet?

Reply to
Torak

On or around Tue, 30 May 2006 01:26:33 +0100, Torak enlightened us thusly:

200TDi is pretty good on reliability, but this is reflected in the price of a decent on second hand. If looking at 'em with a view to buy, they should fire up almost instantly without noticeable pre-heat, if it makes black smoke on fire-up that's normal, if it makes blue or grey or white smoke when running then reject it.

well-kept ones are good for 200,000 miles.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Great - I'll have a chat with my friendly neighbourhood LR dealer then.

Reply to
Torak