It's been a year since the accident but...

Hi!

A little over a year ago, March 2003, I was involved in a car accident in my 1999 Volkswagen Passat... It was pretty rough. I was stupid and was going faster than I should of... but I survived with minor injuries; so, I just noticed this newsgroup and thought I would show you guys the pictures and how VERY safe a Volkswagen can be....

And if the link doesn't work there is a directory of images here:
P.S: I drive a Jeep now but I'm saving for another VW. :)

Reply to
Zeitgeist

Rob Guenther

should HAVE... should HAVE.... (not "of") /grammar nazi

Reply to
Shaggie

Well, I had just turned 18 and I was driving home from my girlfriends, she went to edu, so I was driving a rather open freeway.... which seems to be made for speed... I was going a little too fast [you'd probably want to hurt me if i told you] and I lost control when I overcorrected and flipped several times into a tree a pretty far way off the road... :)

Truthfully, I don't know how I survived. No airbags went out and the impact from the tree was on the driver's side door, so I ended up breaking all my ribs, spraining my leg and making my clavicle stick out on that side.. I got life flighted and taken out with the cars of life but I was only in the hospital for 2 and a half days... It happened on a Wednesday and I was back in school by Monday... Though, I'm a little bit older now and no longer in high school... I learned my lesson :)

accident

Reply to
Zeitgeist

So I guess that the car was a write off?

lol

Reply to
Pete Cressman

If I didn't read the thread first I would almost think you were trolling with someone elses totaled VW that didn't survive. You can't get much closer to death and survive from the looks of that.

BTW, I also own a 1994 YJ Sahara. CJs, YJs, and TJs are very simple and modular to work on just like the old VW bugs. Jeeps are a great second vehicle to own. So are VWs IMO. :-) You can't going wrong with having a Jeep and a VW to compliment each other.

:-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Hmmm. Why's that? I wonder if VW knows about this... possible defect?

Reply to
93 Fox

It makes me want to hurt you for telling us you were going fast enough to cause the damage you did. I HOPE you learned your lesson. I also hope that after you healed, your parents gave you a good ass kicking. I also hope that you drive the SPEED LIMIT now becuase it's there to PREVENT inexperienced drivers like YOU from causing accidents like that one. Yes, beleive it or not, there is a REASON roads have speed limits.

Glad you survived. BTW, breaking ALL your ribs is not a "minor" injury. Had one of those ribs moved wrong, you'd be dead right now becuase it would have punctured a lung or your heart.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

somebody's lying because if you look at the pics the side airbags did deploy. can't really tell if the fronts did because I can't find the steering column.

Reply to
Matt B.

I'll bet your glad you had already dropped your girl off!

Reply to
Jo Bo

Oop. Wasn't an intention lie... I don't remember it happening at the scene... :)

I don't believe the sides did... or I even had side airbags... It was a '99 Passat. The front airbag didn't go off because it was a side impact crash.

Reply to
Zeitgeist

Well, yeah, I did learn my lesson.. and I do drive the speed limit. That's why I posted this msg kind of as a warning if others are dumb enough to do what I did... Luckily though, it was on a road with little traffic and nothing around so the damage to anything else, besides a tree, was nada...

Yeah, I did puncture one of my lungs; but it's healed.

girlfriends,

probably

overcorrected

Zeitgeist

No kidding. As I was reading the post I thought to myself "I'll post a pic of the truck I rolled, that'll show 'em some real damage..." Then I looked as his picture. He wins. ;-)

Craig

Reply to
Craig Faison

Reply to
Rob Guenther

A local kid (age 16) stuffed his '82 Bunny under a cement truck this week (head-on). The pic made the front page of the paper. I'll try to locate a copy of it and post it here.

Uh, he didn't make it.

Wohlford, '89 Golf

Reply to
Tim Wohlford

looking at the pics it does look like you had side airbags and they went off. look at the driver's seat outboard side...looks like a split seam (where the airbag would deploy from) and what looks like a giant deflated pillowcase hanging from it.

Reply to
Matt B.

..............Side impacts & rollovers will trigger the sensor for frontal impact. I've seen it happen.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Did the cement truck hit him? Or was he driving in the wrong lane or what?

Reply to
Zeitgeist

From the sounds of it, he was enjoying the driving experience a bit too much, crossed the center lane and hit the truck head-on.

Wohlford, '89 Golf