missing bit?

while changing the oil and filter on the SIII, I noted that in the bottom of the oil filter housing was a spring. The only purpose I could see for this is to press the filter element up against the mating flange at the top, and indeed without something to do that, the oil can bypass the filter altogether. However, for the spring to do that, there has to be a bit which wasn't there, like a large flat washer, to fit over the bolt, between the spring and the filter. I improvised it using a large washer from a damper bush which happened to be lying around and was approximately the right size.

Anyone know what should be there, and whether you can get 'em? 'Twould be nice sometime to put it right.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It looks like it was part of an assembly that includes the "bolt" and filter bowl - may still be available from LR but is NLA from the aftermarket people.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I think I might have one of those kicking about somewhere Austin. I'll have a look shortly and let you know if you don't get fixed up. If so it should only cost coppers to post.

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

On or around Fri, 5 Aug 2005 18:48:04 +0000 (UTC), "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

I've bodged it for the moment, but it'd be nice to have the right bit. The one I've fitted probably doesn't actually seal the bottom end of the filter, but will at least mostly-seal it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The filter element should have a rubber bit that is a tight seal on the shaft - the washer is just so the spring doesn't damage the seal. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Sat, 06 Aug 2005 12:39:20 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

The filter itself is just a tubular thing, with paper/cardboard gaskets around the hole each end. The obvious intention is that the missing bit both holds the filter on and seals it at the bottom, and yes, in theory, it should also seal around the bolt, I'd have thought.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You might find something in the classic car/classic tractor/classic truck market. It wouldn't surprise me if the original Land Rover design used a standard component.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Not sure about the rubber *inside* the filter housing as the bit you're missing is a tight fit on the bolt anyway, but yes I've got one, if you want it e-mail me (leaving out the obvious of course) with an address.

Martin. (By the way, there's only one R in Armada) :-)

Reply to
Oily

All the filter elements I have ever had seal round the bolt, but I suppose it depends on the manufacturer. Its not like a fuel filter where the fluid only goes through once and it is important that no sediment gets through, so I suppose it doesn't matter too much. JD

Reply to
JD

Hi Austin,

As previously mentioned there should be a large washer that locates the spring and loads the filter onto the top seal in the housing.

This washer/spring assembly is part of the pressure relief system should the filter become blocked - ie as filter blocks, pressure rises and forces the filter or large washer off the seating and allows unfiltered oil to the engine rather than no oil at all.

If you have had the washer missing ( usually stuck to the old filter on removal and lost ) then the engine has been receiving unfiltered oil since the filter was last changed.

Early Leyland A/ B series filter washers fit if you can find one on the scrappy.

HTH

Lofty.

Reply to
Lofty

On or around Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:17:25 +0000 (UTC), Lofty enlightened us thusly:

yeah, I figured that. nemmind. Some kind soul in here posted me one, which will be fitted sometime, probably at the next oilchange, now, as I improvised one which should do for now.

Reply to
Austin Shackles