more 110 suspension questions

Hi all

My 1984 110 csw is a bit saggy at the rear it also has a self levelling device, the question is, if this self leveller was working correctly would it allow soft springs to sag at rear or would it maintain a level ride height and if it isn't working correctly could I just fit rear springs for a

110 without self leveller, or would i also need to replace the self leveller with a standard A frame ball joint assembly aswell. I have been told by an independant lr parts man to "hack it off with angle grinder" just leaving ball joint assembly in place. whats your views on this ?

Thanks in advance

Icky

Reply to
icky

The self leveller aids the weaker springs fitted with it to keep level. If it isn't working, the back will sag unless it is unloaded. The likeliehood is that the rear springs are sagged anyway - and the self leveller probably can't cope with that even if it is still working. However, the simplest thing to do is to simply replace the rear springs with the ones used on the unlevelled version. There is no need to do anything with the self leveller. This is what I have done. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:22:47 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

...unless it jams in the "up" position...

I've not had one, but apparently it can and it makes for "interesting" handling.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Whilst on the subject what do you think of the airbag spring helpers? I was thinking of removing the self leveler - fitting the original soft springs and using the airbags when towing or carrying a load - 110 CSW V8

likeliehood

Reply to
Vince

Hi JD

Whats the ride quality like with the new springs compared with softer levelled ones? Even with a saggy bum the ride quality on mine is very good and I don't really want it to be too harsh.

Cheers Icky

Reply to
icky

Perhaps a pair of the dual rate ones from Td5 110's may be the answer?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Very noticeably rougher. But I need the load carrying ability (often carry

6-7 people plus luggage). I have been considering getting the leveller replaced/repaired and getting a new set of the original spec springs. Trouble is doing anything with the leveller is expensive. Springs are fairly cheap. JD
Reply to
JD

Hasn't in eight years including a lot of offroad. JD

Reply to
JD

Should work. But quotes I have had make overhauling the leveller look cheap. JD

Reply to
JD

Hi Richard

Would they fit ok? and would the ride hieght match the front? and the inevitable how compared to tothers mentioned?

Cheers

Icky

Reply to
icky

Reply to
icky

On or around Tue, 04 Apr 2006 06:31:02 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

I assume that yours hasn't got itself jammed "up" I'm sure someone in the group had one, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles