Stupid question on 110 suspension upgrade

Sorry for asking, but I need to give an answer to people.

Scenario is a 110 CSW with a roofrack, its used by a mountain rescue team has various rescue equipment on board and has been to a weigh bridge - which has shown that the front axle has too much weight on it (measured I am told by driving the front axle only onto a weighbridge). 70% of the equipment is in the rear compartment and the remaining 30% on the roof rack.

If you were to upgrade the suspension on a 110 Defender, would this allow you to carry more weight ?

Would you also need to upgrade anything else ?

I think I know the answers and I think the weighing was done incorrectly, but would be grateful for any pointers - you could possible save the Team a lot of money.

Dave

Reply to
Dave H

No I think you're limited by the manufacturer's plate and max vehicle weight for a 110 is exactly the sum of the two axle weights.

Also I think 75kg gross is the maximum on the roof.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Try to find out what the electricity companies have done to their 110s. These vehicles are running substantially over the normal commercial rating. They may have been delivered pre-modified by LR.

A colleague had an ex NEEB one. Unfortunately I didn't take the opportunity to look too closely but the rear springs were greatly uprated. The standard wheel rims, too, may require replacing. I suspect that Wolf rims may have enough in hand for most applications.

Reply to
Dougal

In message , Dave H writes

If you look on LR web site you will see that the HD suspension ups the max axle weight from 1250 to 1580 kg regardless of model. The rear axle however IS model dependent.

Reply to
hugh

On or around Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:06:07 +0000, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

The leccy lot tend to use steel 8-spokes, round here, with fatter tyres: something like 265/75R16 I think. Front springs can up to a point be uprated, but the main consideration is getting the load distribution right. The front end is already pretty heavy, due to the engine and gearbox, so most of the load should be carried on the rear axle.

However, the leccy people aren't starting from a CSW, they're probably a modified 110 HCPU done by LR SVO.

Rear springs, you can fit the extra ones from the 130 HCPU if you can't get uprated ones heavy enough.

There are also the obvious considerations about loading heavy stuff as low as possible. It's also possibel to affect the distribution by, for example, moving a heavy dense thing to a point behind the rear axle to take weight off the front.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Is anyone civilian using the uprated WOLF chassis at all?

Looking at the news I assume that if that nice Mr Tata doesn't get the cash as requested he'll be putting the factory in a box and shipping it over to India 'real soon now'.

Reply to
William Black

....so you can bet our lot will have to do the same with LR/Jag

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

On or around Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:53:59 -0000, "Neil Brownlee" enlightened us thusly:

I dunno about LR-Jag, but in America, the big three are too big to let them fall down. The knock-on effects would be too damaging, I reckon.

There were people on about this the other day in this country, all the suppliers to the car industry are in the shit too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles