Backbox replacement

Hi,

Been sorting out the land rover for the 3 week tour of europe for the honeymoon. Changed all the filters and oils this weekend (thanks Beamends!). This was the first time and it is really as easy as everyone told me (well mostly).

The only down side is that I found the exhaust has gone just behind the back box. What I want to do is just get a piece of straight pipe, cut out the back box and replace. The view is to get a full S/S exhaust sometime in the future.

The question I have is. What is the diameter of the pipe I need (I can't measure it at the moment cost its not with me at the moment!) to bypass the exhaust? Where can I get some! and how do you actually go about fitting it!

Vehicle is a 1998 Defender 100 300 Tdi... standard UK spec (e.g. with cat!) Hard top.

Thanks for your help David

Reply to
Dave

Do you have a decent local exhuast fitting type place? (Porbably not QuickFit, but you never know). Good ones will be able to sort you out (after they've failed to sell you a new one!).

Make sure it's a good repair - I believe some EU countries get a bit upset about noisy/leaky exhausts.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around 3 Apr 2006 01:56:01 -0700, "Dave" enlightened us thusly:

's hardly worth the effort, when elcheapo exhausts are, well, cheap.

when you replace the system, get one without a cat...:-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There is an exhaust place here that sell flexy pipe which comes in 6ft lengths that are £10-£15 each which is handy for bodging exhausts. You can just cut the existing one, then push the flexy stuff over the ends and clamp it.

Reply to
Tom Woods

That sounds good, but would it support the exhaust properly? Any idea where you can get it from?

Definately will have the cat removed when I get the SS exhaust.

Thanks David

Reply to
Dave

Cheapest exhaust I've found is =A380 fitted... which seems a little steep! OK I could do it myself but I haven't time.

Reply to
Dave

No, it wouldnt support anything, but is ideal for sections inbetween supports, or you can put the old clamps round it.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Partco (who supply Kwik Fit, ATS etc) also sell lengths of straight and flexible exhaust tubing in various diameters. Don't know the minimum length though. It may be cheaper to buy a new rear box from them. Give them a ring first.

Ian McDonald

Reply to
Doorbell