Morph is in the house!!!!!

I suspect there are many/several/some others here that also do exactly that.

ok - do you have Outlook Express installed at work? this on its own is a fairly poor usenet client, but nonetheless better than g/g. most users of this app also download & install oe-quotefix for usenet.

Also,

has the Thunderbird mail app - this is also a usenet client - 'portable' apps don't need to be 'installed', you can run them from a USB stick thingie. Of course, if your company has bolted down the desktop so that apps cannot be installed they have probably blocked access to the ports needed to use nntp. Many in this situation use a personal laptop or PDA to usenet - perhaps over GPRS or even a wi-fi link if there's one about.

right - may I gently enquire if you followed the links at the foot of the page I directed you to?

This one may help:

btw: did you notice that the convention round these parts is to post replies beneath the text one is replying to whilst snipping(removing/editing) so that only the relevant parts of the previous post remain?

That one may actually be a google group as opposed to usenet if you see the distinction.

Reply to
William Tasso

sounds about right.

Google groups isnt really bad though. I use it a lot from work also since i cant get out on the ports needed for usenet.

Reply to
Tom Woods

|Thanks for all the pointers and from reading them it appears I need to |run an application on my PC which is where it falls down. I view the |group from 3 different PC's only one of which is exclusively mine. Big |Brother at work blocks software installations, Presently I view through |GoogleGroups and have 3 daily digest emails. I am also a member of |another GoogleGroup which allows individual email downloads in its |option, I assume this is not a 'usenet' setup but Google Groups.

Neil.

Get yourself a 1-gig usb stick and install Agent onto it. You can run it from any PC you want, and take all your data with you.

Agent does not use windows registry or rely on it's own installed win system files, so it is fairly standalone application.

Try googling for "Free Agent" from Forteinc. An older version (something like 1.9) is all you really need for usenet groups.

H.

-- Pontins History E-Mail: snipped-for-privacy@pontinshistory.co.uk Please visit

Skype ID (instant messaging and video calls): howie10

Reply to
Howie

Thats is of course assuming that corporate policy allows the use of such devices - it was a P45 offence to plug one in without my permission last place I was at

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

On or around Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:16:16 +0000, Howie enlightened us thusly:

I've got a variety of old install files for Agent around. wonder what the legality is of passing on an old version of full agent?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|I've got a variety of old install files for Agent around. wonder what the |legality is of passing on an old version of full agent?

I think that all versions (before 2.0) are shareware anyway. So unless you provide a reg-key it will just revert to Free Agent. Which is all the OP wants anyway. So - no problem!

H.

Reply to
Howie

2Gig stick on order, I currently have a 256MB that I run a few utilities off on all PC's

The work PC runs Lotus Notes, work Laptop runs OE & I run Firefox on my PC. GMail has been a godsend for maintaining continuity with all groups and a few weeks ago they added a bookmarks button, so now my bookmarks are all common from the web.

Will do when stick delivered.

Thanks again for all the pointers, will probably revert again next week when trying to get it installed.

Neil

Reply to
bumble101

have you noticed on forte's website that they no longer do free agent. Agent full version only now.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Thu, 09 Nov 2006 09:28:09 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

I get the impression that it works as limited shareware though. Used to in v3.

V4 had bayesian filtering which is dead cunning, and much more options for filtering messages.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Changed PC two days ago, and have just downloaded Free Agent onto PC at work.

Send me an email address, and I will send it across.

Thanks

Giles

Reply to
Giles Ayling

i was going to upgrade from old free agent, but the website implies that v4 is a 30 day trial

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around 9 Nov 2006 04:41:45 -0800, "Tom Woods" enlightened us thusly:

well, I rather thought that V3 reverts to limited function after 30 days. not looked into this on V4.

I can send you a v3.3 installer if you want :-)

I seem to have installers for 1.91, 1.92, 1.93, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.3, 4.0 and

4.1 here.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 20:47:20 -0000, "Nige" || wrote: || ||| Lee_D wrote: |||| Nige uttered summat worrerz |||| funny about: ||||| Tom Woods wrote: |||||| On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 20:24:13 -0000, "Nige" |||||| wrote: |||||| ||||||| ||||||| WTF happened to the spelling on that post? I checked it too? |||||| |||||| I didnt notice any mistooks! |||||| |||||| ps. when are you going to fix your line lengths cos i can never |||||| get your whole post to fit on the screen and its a PITA having to |||||| scroll back and forth :) ||||| ||||| I'm using quotefix, I HATE all other newsreaders i have tried, ||||| tell me what to do & it will be done! |||| |||| Reads fine here but I'm using quotefix too...... Hows mine to |||| everyone else as in if you keep reading now are you going off the |||| page or have you got a 42" monitor in which case I'm highly jealous |||| and you can suffer ;-) |||| Lee D ||| || || mine was fine when i had a desktop puter with a big monitor. || || im now using a laptop and am forced to use 1024x768. || ||| Good point, I'm on a 26inch monitor & dont see any issues with ||| anyones posts! || || this line just fits in my window without any scrolling across. || ||

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 20:42:30 -0000, "Nige" || wrote: || ||| Tom Woods wrote: |||| On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 20:24:13 -0000, "Nige" |||| wrote: |||| ||||| ||||| WTF happened to the spelling on that post? I checked it too? |||| |||| I didnt notice any mistooks! |||| |||| ps. when are you going to fix your line lengths cos i can never get |||| your whole post to fit on the screen and its a PITA having to |||| scroll back and forth :) ||| ||| I'm using quotefix, I HATE all other newsreaders i have tried, tell ||| me what to do & it will be done! || || ive never used quotefix, but ive googled and i reckon: || || you want the line length to be about 80 characters. || || it needs to be set in both outlook and oe-quotefix || || in outlook || || Menu>Tools>Options...>Send>

|| News Sending Format || (/) Plain Text [Plain Text Settings...] || Automatically Wrap Characters at {x} characters when sending. || [OK] || || apparently for quotefix: || || Right click the icon in your task bar and select *Show Dialog* || Then you get a box whixch lets you set the line length and quote || character. || || ive no idea if any of that will work!

Yep, just checked and my QF is set to wrap at 72.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In message , Austin Shackles writes

No problems here. I use Turnpike - an excellent system free from Demon from the early days.

Reply to
hugh

In article , hugh writes

I think it still is free.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Im beginning to think that free agent is fairly crap (of the version i have anyway). It doesnt wrap anything ever.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sat, 11 Nov 2006 08:43:41 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

which version?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Adrian Simpson writes

It is to Demon customers but for how much longer either will survive is an open question.

Reply to
hugh