Tailgate Door Lock - Discover 1

Hi there folks,

Got a bit of a problem with the tailgate door on my Discovery (1997=20 vintage) in that the lock won't unlock on the fob. I can unlock it with=20 the key okay though :-)

I've got the trim and all off at the moment for access to the mechanism=20 but can't see what's wrong. The actuator lifts up when I hit the unlock=20 button but as it relaxes again (as I understand it should) the lock=20 mechanism falls back into the locked position.

I had a similar problem with the drivers door lock on a different=20 Discovery some years ago and that was cured by adjusting the length of a =

stainless steel rod. I was kinda hoping this would be something similar=20 but I don't see any adjustment on any of the linkages ... am I missing=20 something?

Also, the actuator (AMR3382) is feckin' expensive (=A375 from Rimmer=20 Bros). Does my memory serve me correctly in thinking that someone like=20 Maplins did an identical unit for a lot less - or have I completely lost =

the plot? I'm not (yet) convinced that the actuator is faulty but it'd=20 be nice to know just in case :-)

Any assistance would be appreciated :-)

--=20 Regards

Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

I had a bit more time to investigate today and I'm about 99% sure it's=20 the motor. Gonna try our local Maplins store tomorrow and see if they've =

got the replacement in stock.

Thanks for the assistance :-)

Regards

Steve G T> Hi there folks,

Reply to
SteveG

Did one a few weeks ago. I used this bloke on ebay

for the spring. It came with instructions and photos as well. You can't see the broken spring without taking the latch mechanism out.

It's a bit of a game to get the latch mechanism out of the tailgate, but there is one position it will. Getting the new spring in is tricky, but possible with a small pair of taper nose pliers. Make sure you get all the bits of broken spring out, though. This Disco had the same problem on one of the rear passenger doors as well, although the mech is much easier to get out on those.

Odd thing is, the springs seem to break on the doors that are used the least!

Andy Fox

110 V8 205 GTi 1.9 Hillman Imp
Reply to
Andy Fox

There's probably a correlation between the spring being held in tension for a long time with no movement, then being moved, and staying static for another long time, that over time probably adds up to causing more fatigue in the metal and therefore making it more subsceptable to breaking.

Reply to
Alex Threlfall