MOT question

So, my Disco is coming to the end of its warranty period. The LR warranty included MOT failure cover but, of course, it had a fresh shiny MOT when purchased.

I am told it is possible to have an MOT done in advance of the old one expiring and have the commencement date follow on from the old one if you are close enough.

Is this true? If so, what is the 'close enough' period?

Pete

Reply to
Peter Harrison

You can have one done whenever you like, inside or outside the current test. But in order to benefit from the 'extension', you need to be within one month of the expiry of your current certificate, which you need to take with you to the test, and they'll (presuming it passes) give you a new MOT for thirteen months rather than twelve

Reply to
nullified

An Mot can be issued at anytime, but it will be issued for 12 months from the date of the test.

If the old one runs out within a month, and you supply the old one at the time of the test you can get an MOT for 12 months from the date of the old expiration - ie 13months if you time it right.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I had my Disco 2 MOT'd early as it was under warranty up to the date the old MOT expired. It failed on a seat belt catch, and the dealer didn't have one in stock to fix it. By the time they got the stock in, the grace period for free re test had expired and they tried to charge me for the retest, which was only necessary due to them not having the part in the first place. They got quite heated, so I asked to see the new document, put it in my pocket, took the keys off the counter and walked out - never did hear from them

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thought it was 14 days but could be wrong...

But the expiry will still only be 12 months from the expiry of the old MOT. You only get "new" cover for the period already covered by the old certificate.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's the motor trade for you........ My wife worked in the motor trade in sales admin for around 6 years at 3 different garages and only ever met 2 honest salesmen. The definition of honest in this context is that they would not diddle a pensioner. Service manager replaced a wheel bearing "himself" and cocked it up - failed 3K miles later due to water ingress. Respray as a "favour" - over grinding dust - was the biscuit. That's why I always DIY - until I relented this year with the mondeo for some MOT jobs. Front offside suspension spring to change. Wheel stud hammered resulting in the wheel nut shedding swarf. CV joint boot not secured back to the drive shaft resulting in grease everywhere, but luckily no CV joint destroying water getting in as it didn't rain.

Rant over Graham

Reply to
Graham Bowers