My 83 Rangy stalls under throttle.

Hi My 83 rangy just dies under low rev throttle. It runs well high revs. It clears after a few days of use but returns. I flushed the tank, Very dirty but didn't fix. Could it be the carbies? How do I flush them without removing them? I assume they are SU as they have the dampener screw on he top. The car is on a remote island so I have to do most of the work myself. I have a complete spare car of the same year. It has electric ignition, new leads. I have to gently put my foot down on the excelerator or even putting it into high ratio helps to get it going. But it runs fine when not under load.

Thank you

DD

Reply to
David Dixon

Air filter ok?

Fuel pump, thought I would expect it would have problems at High revs too.

In the tank on some early Rangies was a filter, like a sock with a spring in. When the Spring rusts the sock can suck its self in causing a blockage. To fix insert a new spring or remove sock and fit inline filters. I'm not sure which year they stopped doing this.

Do you have an inline filter by the Carb feed?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Stromberg carbs also have the damper screw on top, AND a rubber diaphragm which splits and could cause your problem. If they're SUs there's no diaphragm to worry about.

Andy Fox

110 V8

Andy Fox

Thanks for that Lee D. Yes I do have the standard filter before the carb, which I cleaned. Prior to that a lot of dirt was getting through it. So some must have gone into the carby. I cant check the other as I'm off the island at the moment. There is a mechanic there, but I know these blokes, they'll replace averything till they fix it.

Reply to
David Dixon

de quoted text -

Thanks Andy I'll check that when I'm next on the Island David

Reply to
David Dixon