Mystery plugs on clutch housing

All,

While changing the oil of all the boxes I could find on my 110 TD5, I noticed a number of plugs on the housing on the clutch. A picture of these is at .

Number 6 is the engine drain (the top of the picture is towards the front of the vehicle). But what about plugs 1-5, all on the clutch housing? What am I expecting behind them?

I was told that there are no wading plugs on TD5s. Could some of these be the remnants of that?

TIA,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

Don't think that's your cluch housing, looks more like a gearbox to me. Is it an auto?

Reply to
JacobH

On or around Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:03:07 +0000, Fred Labrosse enlightened us thusly:

6 looks like it's where I expect a wading plug to be. the others could be bolt heads holding something on inside, so I'd leave 'em alone...
Reply to
Austin Shackles

No, manual. It is definitely the clutch housing. The gearbox is further back. Plugs 1-5 are on a part that directly attaches on the engine, plug 6 being the drain of the engine.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

No. 6 is the engine drain plug (this is the one I use now and then when changing the oil of the engine...). The bolts attaching the clutch housing to the engine are visible between plugs (if they are plugs) 2-3 and 3-4 and below 5.

Remember, the picture is upsidedown.

That said, the "plugs" might indeed not be plugs and be holding things inside, as you said. However, 3 and 4 really look like plugs (same as on the transfer box and diff boxes. The others seem to have some kind of washer resembling the seals on some other plugs (e.g. the gearboxe's).

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

Some guesswork here ....

(2) and (5) are sump bolts - are they forward of the joint face?

The workshop manual shows service tool LRT-12-158 being used through the hole blanked by (1), the hex head plug. My german is poor but it reads like a crankshaft locking tool for use when messing with the timing chain.

"Werkzeug LRT-12-158 durch die Getriebeglocke einsetzen, um die Kurbelwelle zu blockieren."

I suspect that (3) and (4) are just plugs into the clutch housing.

Reply to
Dougal

All of them, apart from 6 are on the clutch housing side of the joint face, as far as I can see.

I'll have a better look at that, but when I checked, I didn't see much related to that. In fact nothing at all.

Is the clutch housing the same as for pre TD5 engines? Would that just be wading plugs that are supposed to be permanently on on the TD5?

Cheers,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse