NATO tow hook / pintle

Does anyone know the bolt size required to fit a NATO hook, and what the dimensions are for the mounting holes? If they do, could they please tell me?

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

On or around Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:12:29 +0000, Colonel Tupperware enlightened us thusly:

half-inch bolts (you can use 12mm, they're slightly loose).

hole spacing as per the hitch :-) - find a 90/110 and measure the hole pattern on the crossmember, is the easiest. They're something slightly odd, ISTR.

angabout, what are you trying to fit it to?

on a series/90/110, the bolts need to be long enough to go through the hitch, the crossmember and a fat washer or reinforcing plate on the other side. 5 or 6 inch, I think.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So. M12, but how long?

Not got the hitch yet, buying it from the same bloke as the trailer I'm picking up on Sunday.

Disco towing plate.

I've got 2 types of Ball and Pin tow hooks, but the consensus at work is that the NATO ring wont fit in a 3.5tonne Dixon Bate dual pin / ball hitch, or my other Sealey type hitch.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Section diameter of the 3 inch NATO eye is nominally 41.2 mm

Most smaller Dixon-Bate jaws (including the one you describe)accept a maximum 28.6 mm diameter.

Dougal

88 x 44.5 mm for the Land-Rover sized version.

Probably already drilled to accept this NATO hook with M12 or 1/2 inch bolts.

Please be careful about bolt/nut strength/backing plates/washers even if you are just towing a small trailer. If you have anything else in mind be extremely careful!

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:39:13 +0000, Colonel Tupperware enlightened us thusly:

no, It won't, the nato ring is larger. What trailer? If it's a 4-wheeler, then you'll need a special thing to fit the DB sliding hitch rails, in order to get the hitch at the right height; the standard height is about in line with the disco bumper.

A sankey or similar will slope downwards, if you mount it lower.

Just been and measured it - the rectangle looks to be about 86x43mm. If you're looking at bolting to a standard DB hitch-mounting plate then that's

12mm thick, and the flanges on the nato hitch are something like about 16mm, so your bolts need to be about 45 or 50mm, I should think.

If you want details of the adapter I made for the DB hitch rails, then these can be supplied. In fact, if anyone does...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sorted. Fitted a NATO hool (ex. Bedford 4 Tonner) straight on to the Disco's plate. The Trailer, although described as a Sankey is actually a Reynolds Boughton 1 tonne Air Portable with 2 height suspension. On the high setting it looks like a ski jump! Pulled it back from Aylesbury to Bedford without too much hassle. NOw to set about giving it a good service and converting it to how I want it.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware