gearbox oil additives

anyone tried gearbox oil additives (slick 50 or equivalent) in LT230s, and with what results?

the T-box on mine is still whiny, after fitting a new input gear (not much to my surprise...) There's not much backlash in it, so I think it's pretty normal - after all, they did revise the gears to make 'em quieter.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I tried slick 50 in a saab gearbox which had a bit of a whine. Didn't really make a difference (I drained it and put fresh oil in at the same time too).

As the box got worse I started sticking EP-90 in it (box is supposed to have 75-80 in it). that actually made it quieter!

It blew up about 5000 miles after the slick50 anyhow, so it could have just been that the box was terminally ill anyhow and nothing could stop it whining!

Reply to
Tom Woods

It probably blew up because you used a heavy viscosity oil in one designed for substantially lighter 75w/80.

75w/80 transmission oil is about the same viscosity as a 10w/30 engine oil or automatic transmission fluid.

The LT230 transfer box is not fussy about its oil, just as long as it is wet.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

How does that work?. I thought that the numbers indicated the viscosity of the oil but was unsure why the saab manual says engine oil or 75w/80.

I didnt start adding ep90 unil i started loosing gears - by which time I had accepted anyway that the box was broken! It did make it a lot quieter! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

There are two unrelated scales.

I thought that the numbers indicated the

Now you know ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:08:11 -0000, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

mind, it makes more sense that you can use synthetic SAE75 in a 'box which is "supposed" to run on ATF.

Reply to
Austin Shackles