NAVIGATION SYSTEM

I want to mount a VDO dayton PC 5100 system in a Range Rover 4.6 HSE. How can I get the speedometer digital signal ?

Reply to
ze

Funny you should mention that. Andy emailed me only yesterday.

David

Reply to
David French

Is the signal usable for a tripmeter too ?

Reply to
Michel Wurtz

The signal is 8,000 pulses per mile at 12V. Does that work for your tripmeter?

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"

So that's 1000 per furlong, or 25 per pole, rod or perch. Dontcha just love Imperial measurements? I bet you don't get 25 pulses per perch from a Toyota.

David

Reply to
David French

Most of the 3rd-party ones I've seen have some sort of calibration setting which will cover that, though at about 8 inches per pulse I doubt it would work for anything meant for a bicycle (and never mind the signal voltage).

Though if the pulse-distance was too short, I'm sure you could build a black-box scaler. A schmitt trigger, and a couple of divide-by-two stages, for instance.

Reply to
David G. Bell

In fact I'm just planning to build one based on a PIC microcomputer, and a few other components (mainly display and button). The rest is "only" software :-) so I expect it to be much cheaper than commercial systems.

So I was very interested by the web page about the navsat installation. I need two signals : the speedometer signal and the reverse indicator (which can improve the handling of reversing after taking the wrong way. I didn't see much tripmeter doing that)

If this project leads to a working system, I will publish it.

Of course, I would be happy if someone else have a similar project to exchange informations...

-- Michel.

Reply to
Michel Wurtz

You could browse to

name is landie whilst password is land1e. The group seems to have lost momentum somewhat, after a fast start....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Well, some of us have weekday jobs :@)

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

So skive dammit!

To the casual observer I'm working my nuts off.

:-)

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

What's your day job? Undoing seized nuts?

Reply to
David French

Well I do work with nuts quite a lot. Of course they prefer to be called 'Software Engineers'.

Today my work has involved designing two large Scalextric tracks. Tomorrow's work will consist of going out and buying lots and lots of track, and on Friday I will probably spend the day building it.

No, really....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:22:20 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

now that's the sort of job I could live with...

'ere, anyone done a scalextric Land Rover?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Apparently yes, but not scalextric. I'm going for a look this morning

- will report back!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Surely in that case it's "apparently no"? :)

Reply to
David French

Having been shopping today there is a Land Rover (a green 90 with roofrack and Camel on the doors). It is a Micro-Scalextric size, but isn't made by Scalextric. It was too small for my application and he only had one, and cannot get more. So that was a shame.

So I've gone for a Mini Cooper theme. It's for an exhibition so will go around a 5m x5m stand. The cars will have barcodes / 2D codes on the roof and the fast sections should be quick enough to show off some of our high-speed readers.

The Mini theme gives us lots of options for giveaways and movies on the plasma screens. Land Rover would have been nice, as we are about to start scanning the new bodyshells, but we can't get the cars.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Ah, it's all becoming clear now... I love the idea!

If anybody can think of a good trade show setup involving Land Rovers and/or scalextric to demonstrate high availability of mission critical servers, I'll give them some free replication software :)

David

Reply to
David French

You can't justify a guess-the-bandwidth competition using a Land Rover full of optical media?

Reply to
David G. Bell