Help! TD5 Fuel Filter

I have a Series II Discovery TD5, and recently the "fuel filter" warning light started coming on on the dashboard. My local dealer suggested I unscrewed the bottom of the filter to drain it, then all should be OK.

I have now done this, but now I can't get the Disco to start - the engine turns over, but doesn't fire, so I think it's obvious that it's a fuel starvation problem - I've tried leaving the ignition "on" for a few minutes to let the filer/system "refill", but this doesn't seem to work.

I'm not very mechanically minded - and can't phone my dealer as it's Sunday - have I missed some important step out to purge/refill the system?

Any help, greatly appreciated as I am now STRANDED!!!

Reply to
Neil Jones

Ign on for 3 mins, foot on the accelerator fully! turn starter for 10 secs or til starts. if after 10 secs it didn´t start, do the procedure again, 3 mins ign........ should work. It is the self bleed system of a TD5. "Neil Jones" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Lobby

Also, ignition on, stamp up and down on the accelerator about 5 or 6 times. This is another (undocumented?) purge procedure I've found useful :o)

Don't know if it will work on a Disco, does on my Defender with a 1999 ECU.

Martin

--

1988 90 Td5 NAS Replica
Martin Lewis

Dont me to insult, but have you put it on the right way round??

Fuel filters are directional.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Brilliant - thanks all for your answers, managed to get the beast moving. I think it was down to not giving the system enough time to refill, and not enough pumping of the pedals!

Thanks again!

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones