Navman 510 GPS heated screen OK

Got one of these just before Christmas. Thought people would like to know it works fine on my Defender which has a heated screen, despite rumours to the contrary. See it's down to 399GBP in PC-W*rld in the paper today.

Nice bit of kit - even knows the names of the greenlanes I use... and the sucker thing for the screen seems very secure even off road. Plus I have succesfully downloaded the UK speedcams database, which also works well.

Reply to
'T'

rumours to

today.

It depends what you mean by 'works fine'.

From my experience of using GPSrs in Land Rovers over 8 1/2 years, I would suggest that 'works fine' in a heated windscreen XS90, is a poor indication of performance.

My third Garmin GPSr in my 130, that also has a heated windscreen, I would say that it only just works some of the time with it's built-in antenna. It's a bit like putting a brick under the throttle peddle so that you get only 10% performance from your 90.

You need an external antenna to get any decent GPS performance in our Defenders.

Reg.

Reply to
Reg

Your comments are interesting. I fully expected to have to get an external antenna, but havent found I needed to. Hence my post.

BUT, in my 90, the gps works exactly in the same way as it does in the other vehicles in my household ( a Ford Ka, and an Audi A2, niether of which have heated screens). It finds five-seven satellites and locks on to four -five. That is the same as I get in the open air.

My definition of 'Works Fine' - tells me where I am, plots routes, displays 'instantaenous average' speed etc, everything I want it to. I have driven for a month with the GPS now in all three vehicles, and it works the same in all three. But I have only driven in England so far!

OT I tried it on a GNER train and it showed we were travelling at 118mph, but sugested we 'go to nearest road'.

'T'

Reply to
'T'

No problems with any of mine (and I have anywhere between 2 and 6 at any time!) on the dash of my Disco II with heated screen

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld