Slightly OT: Anyone got Navman Europe GPS CD?

Hi all, I just bought a Navman 3450 GPS sleeve whilst in the US, obviously it came with the US maps on CD-ROM and I need the UK maps now. I thought it would be an easy process to get hold of them, but despite the box stating "Optional maps available - UK" it seems impossible to find them anywhere without buying another UK GPS system! Anyone want to trade the Europe maps for US ones or somthing? Alternatively if anyone knows where I can buy them online at a non-extortionate price I'd be very grateful (think I found one place selling them for £185, complete GPS kit with maps is £199 - hmm).

Cheers, Dan

Reply to
Dan Roberts

Cd rom? for the navman it normally comes on the memory card, I have the UK maps for pocket copilot if that what you mean, I also have destinator which i think is better than copilot for the Ipaq, but thats personal choice.

Give me a shout what you need.

Ron

Ron

Check compatibility, on these before settling on a price. I've got navman software (but not specifically for the 3450) and I don't believe the sleeves are capable (in general, some models are) of being used generically. If the sleeve can output Sirf (or NMEA) through a standard com port into the ppc then destinator (most versions) can work with it.

Maps depend loads on the marketing, I can easily believe Navman sell the europe maps for the US model to rich americans and, since the sleeve is locked to their maps specifically, they can charge what they like for out of territory data (although, not the same price as the in territory complete kit, obviously.)

Not commenting on whether this is sensible, fair, or whatever.

Destinator I've got, and have no complaints on price or reliability, but the latest 3 I have is struggling to give sensible guidance on roundabouts, just like 1.x got wrong (America has about four roundabouts so it being a US product, there's a limited understanding of roundabouts. Version 2 had the idea, regression or what?)

Reply to
antispam

The 3450 is an iPaq sleeve, it comes with two CD's, one for the Western US and one for the East. The software on the CD is called SmartST Pro, you download that to the PPC from the CD and then choose which maps you want. I'm not sure what the 3450 is compatible with other than SmartST, will have to look into it, cheers for your help.

Best, Dan

Reply to
Dan Roberts

Just had a look and Navman will work with other GPS software if you download a special device driver for the iPaq, Destinator 3 would be good - could you drop me an e-mail (tried yours but address bounced).

Cheers, Dan

Reply to
Dan Roberts

Click on my sig and choose contact, I will then get the email :)

Reply to
Ronny

After the email you sent last night dan, I have just "aquired" destinator 3 for pocket pc, I will chuck it on my server as well for you to download

Reply to
Ron