nearly OT: Tachographs whats coming

Some of us unfortunates are victim to the infamous spy in the cab ( sometimes applicable to Landies as well if you tow for work and probably some High Caps) . well I have spent a mind numbing 4 hours learning about the next EU agreed abomination - digital tachos. I'm old enough to have used log books to record my daily toil and handed them in at the end of each week and they went into storage once filled similarly tachograph charts I carry two weeks of charts and hand them in for checking and storing after that period. Now we come to the new thing first you ( or your employer) have to buy a chipped card off of Blair and Co (shysters to the country) for a stunning £38 in addition you need a company card at another £38 your company needs a download memory chip like a usb memory plug at a cool £185 and a computer to read it plus software??? a smart card reader £56- Siemans quote a starter package for the office at £1500 for owner drivers plus £7 for paper rolls to print off the unit. So if you are an owner driver thats coming off your profit margin in addition there is the enforcement aspect. Make a mistake and exceed the speed limit on your motor for 1 minute - thats when you go downhill and your rev limiter is not slowing you below 56mph in a bigun or whatever speed the spanners have set the tacho to in other motors, it records it on the chip and flashes up a display which you need to acknowledge ditto if you exceed your 4:30 accumulated driving hours without a break.So far thats more or less as is , suppose a traffic policemen Vosa or whoever stops you on a check how far back can he delve into your records whcih you are carrying to see if you have made a mistake that you can be prosecuted for? any body guess day , week, month?? year???? nope a year is the minimum time that the tacho will carry data to hang you plus if somebody else is driving that motor in that period and he /she gets stopped and checked that record is still there waiting to bite your arse. One more thing the person reading the tacho at base will have a read out of everything you do during your working day minute to minute as good as if they were standing behind you all daywatching everything you do. Ask me if I think I will be driving trucks in twelve months time? Ask me if I would like all the government to be equally accountable for EVERY minute I an paying their wages????

Derek

I did look to see if the java based drivers demo was available online but it seems you have to pay for that as well see also

for the other demos of how to get legally screwed over robbery without violence

Reply to
Derek

And of course this is basically the road test for the new black boxes that they are going to mandate in EVERY vehicle in the next few years, the ones we have to have for road tolling, which as a sideline will be able to grass us up for every possible speed violation and allow big brother to track our every move 8-(. Greg

Reply to
Greg

for the other demos of how to get legally screwed over>

Good. Perhaps that will stop the b****y great big lorries speeding through my village. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Did you spot some government waffle about navigation units like TomTom that can route around traffic issues? They regarded these as a "problem" due to the jobsworth's standard excuse, "if everybody did that" then the surrounding roads could also become gridlocked. They said they'd "look into it". I wonder if they were really going to look into how to prevent the satnav systems being set up to route you through the least expensive routes.. In theory they should encourage that to reduce load on the over-used routes but they seem to be more interested in income than anything else.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It might stop the British ones but not those from the rest of Europe...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Surely friendly Tone and Gordon's government wouldn't dream of such an underhand thing.

Reply to
Dougal

It will make no difference whatsover, unless you live at the bottom of a hill of course because the overspeed is only recorded above the limiters maximum so a truck doing 56mph through a village which has a lesser speed limit will not cause any record to be kept --yet . Funny though on the way to work at the airport we drive down some very narrow lanes made even narrower by a certain farmer installing posts outside of his boundary fence (about ten years ago) to protect his nice new fence and the council being sheep let him get away with it and then put kerbs in to make the road even worse. I have yet to meet them (my workmate did twice last week) but a certain Mister Nobby Dentists-mangle has 44 footers taking a short cut down there to get to the airport the road is so tight that box transits barely get through at the bends imagine what happens when the airport staff are trying to get home/to work at shift ends and this mong turns up filling the road. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Cue the new black boxes with GPS to work out where you are and how fast you should be going... Mind you if it stops the stream of aggregate and cement lorries belting through our village it will have done some good, though I suspect car drivers will fair far worse. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Business trumps "consumers" as we're all described as these days, so any action taken will be against "consumers" and not freight. Learn your place ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Just a quick point Derek,

You can get the card readers& software for £99 +Vat

Steve

for the other demos of how to get legally screwed over>

Reply to
METWO

">

> for the other demos of how to get legally screwed over>>

Thanks Steve needless to say Siemens don't seem to want to do that deal, they only list the card reader at £56+ and the software at silly prices

for an operator you need that key to plug into head units because you have to archive all the data from the head units and be able to retrieve it on request by Vosa or the old bill. I don't think I'm that interested really having just bought my own sat nav last week as the tight b*st*rds wouldn't cough up, wouldn't really need it if the hyst-clerical staff would learn to take details down correctly- I should put the soapbox back in the cupboard got an addon POI that shows Landrover dealers locally handy!Derek

Reply to
Derek

Lots of stories in the press about satnav systems taking trucks down roads with low bridges, narrow roads etc, so watch out for that!

Was it you who smokes the occasional cigar? If so email me (this addy is valid) as I've made a POI file of tobacconists who sell cigars, and will be working on one that lists all the curry houses in the "Good Curry Guide" at some point ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It's not Tone thats doing it, it's those fascists in the EU

Alex

Reply to
Alex

There's no way that you'll convince me that Tone is innocent of anything - but I'll be happy to blame the EU also.

As far as I am aware the EU is to blame for the tacho business - road tolls and the like and specifically the use of GPS in connection therewith are entirely within Tone's domain.

Reply to
Dougal

ISTR that Britain is the one that enacts the EU's output with the greatest gusto, certainly much complaining about drivers from the EU being able to operate cheaper than UK drivers due to less restrictions on them.

You'd think that politicians would be unwilling to give up power at the drop of a hat, it's odd how the whole EU thing has come to pass.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

No no, your dialectic is faulty comrade.

All official problems anyone has, of whatever nature, including speed cameras and holes in the road, are the personal responsibility of the Prime Minister.

Reply to
William Black

And the shitty weather.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| On 2006-11-12, Derek wrote: || ||| I don't think I'm that interested really having just bought my own ||| sat ||| nav last week as the tight b*st*rds wouldn't cough up, wouldn't ||| really need it if the hyst-clerical staff would learn to take ||| details down correctly- || || Lots of stories in the press about satnav systems taking trucks down || roads with low bridges, narrow roads etc, so watch out for that! || ||| I should put the soapbox back in the cupboard got an addon POI that ||| shows Landrover dealers locally handy! || || Was it you who smokes the occasional cigar? If so email me (this || addy is valid) as I've made a POI file of tobacconists who sell || cigars, and will be working on one that lists all the curry houses || in the "Good Curry Guide" at some point ;-)

The world will be grateful. (Just ordinary tobacconists would be enough - mind the file wouldn't be very big.)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Well, anyone who wants a tomtom navigator format poi file of cigar-stocking tobacconists can email me using a valid email address, and I'll attend to it tomorrow. Some of them have a crap selection, others are huge cigar shops, no real way to tell which is which from the POI file I'm afraid!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

"Greg" wrote after

I thought they were intending to allow the SatNav system to control a vehicles maximum speed in line with the speed limit on the road one is travelling down. Now most cars are becoming "fly by wire" it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that this is only a few years away.

Reply to
Bob Hobden