New Freelander vs. Clutch

1500 miles on my new HSE Freelander and the clutch packed up welding the flywheel to the clutchplate. Was told by dealership that it was the first one to go so soon on the 2004 model plus a few comments about my wifes driving which were totally unfounded.. As you can imagine, I felt special. Anyone else experienced this in the TD4?
Reply to
Dark Horse

Far be it for me to further insult your wifes driving skill [which involves more than turning the steering wheel] but such heat would have required considerable slip in the components over a sustained period. A skilled driver would notice cluch slip straight away and would have done something about it well before the lining wore out and melting point was reached ;-) Hence, I suspect, the comment from the dealer. A certain Radio Two program would call that 'major muppetry'. Had you been the driver, then I suspect the same comments would have been made and you would be an even less happy bunny LOL. A car is not a maintenance free consumer product ['consumer product' now usually means 'idiot proof'] in the same way that a washing machine is. When out of warranty, leaving things to get out of hand proves costly.

This does not alter the probability that you had a faulty clutch, probably with insufficient clamping pressure, which should, and I suspect will be, rectified under warranty with no quibble.

Huw

Reply to
Huw