New LRX spy shots

They get more ugly by the model!

Reply to
Dougal

So what has a 2WD LandRover got going for it? I seem to recall there are other 2WD vehicles out there most with a build quality.

Reply to
GbH

Didn't Land Rover make a non 4X4 model in the late 40's or early '50's

I'm sure there was one on a RAF Airfield used by the snowdrops in the early '60's

An 88??

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

Reply to
Nige

Yes, a very few. Think they were Series II.

Reply to
Dougal

Before the series II

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

Found this:

It's probably not fair to view them as a normal Land Rover product. They were a special for the Ministry.

Seems that they also produced some 4x2 Series III for the Belgian military:

Dougal

You are correct.

"it will have the groundbreaking honour of being Land Rover's first non-4x4 model"

Is complete rubbish. Series 1,2 and 3 models were all made in 4x2 configuration for military contracts. The British Army ordered a batch in 1953, as utility cars, but someone decided (quite sensibly) that the 4x4 version was just as suitable, could be used as a 4x4 if required and wouldnt mean having two versions with differing drivelines. They didnt order any more

The Belgium army did, however, and had both Series II and III models made in 4x2 configuration

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Well I certainly won't be carting it, the horse sort, down the allotment in that! I'll stick with the old 90 thanks.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Arrrrrggghhh... it's horrible... looks like a Korean, and it doesn't even drive the right number of wheels.

Looks like the bean counters have destroyed yet another marque.

:(((((

Reply to
asdf

Reminds me of the Lexus

Reply to
hugh

or the BMW X1.

Reply to
Andrew Cleland

Blame the Nissan Quasqui, it has been a success which has made other manufacturers realise most people don't know or care which wheels are driven. Similar two wheel drive SUVs are now coming out from other manufacturers, they are cheaper to make, cheaper to run but have the high stance some people want. Even BMW are abandoning rear wheel drive for some of their next 1 Series and sharing the chassis with the Mini because, in a survey they did, a high percentage of present 1 Series owners didn't even know their car was RWD.

Think of it as the Cayenne effect, if it gives LR some good profit they can keep producing the vehicles we all love.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I guess all the luxo cars today have to jump on the coupe-like bandwagon -- the MB CLS, BMW X6, Jaguar X351, and now this LRX. How can anyone see out the back window anymore?

I'll eagerly await the Hybrid Diesel Range Rover HSE in 2013.

Reply to
Figaro

How can anybody fit any gear in the back?

That's one of the things I really like about the defender... the big square body. Fit lots of gear in there.

Reply to
asdf

None of the above are driven by people who worry about whats behind them?

Indeed judging by how they come up behind you on a crowded motorway flashing their lights in broad daylight they seem to have trouble seeing forwards properly. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I find those sorts of drivers go away when you blip the brake lights a few times

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It's a lot safer to let them past so they can attract the coppers that are further down the road, before you get there. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Unless its the copper behind flashing the lights.

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D