new toy

Hmm, he hasn't got a niece due to some genetic problem in the female side, too much cousin-marrying I think. He does have a rather girlish nephew though, prefers croquet to cricket and all that, are you sure you weren't a bit squiffy?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That's very worrying!

Reply to
Dougal

Come on Dougal, we were all looking forward to a far more entertaining reply than that...

Father Ted

Reply to
Muddymike

On or around Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:18:39 GMT, jg enlightened us thusly:

don't let the door bang your arse on the way out.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You know you want to, ah go on, ah you do, go on go on go on go on go on go on........ Derek

Reply to
Derek

Austin, I'd change the shockers as a matter of course, ( thanks to advice I received from this ng it cured the shimmy on my Disco completely.) If that doesn't work maybe a new steering column would do the trick. In any event, forget the damper, I changed mine, the old one was slack as a slack thing but the new stiff one made no difference at all. Are you getting a knocking through the steering wheel when you hit a bump as well as shimmying?

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:34:38 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

I've known a shagged steering damper to do it as well. However, this one's good, also the front suspension dampers are good. The steering shaft, however, is not good and will fail the MOT in a month or so anyway.

better tyres have reduced it a lot, will see what the steering shaft does, then possibly look further.

There's much evidence on this one of proper maintenance - things like grease on battery terminals and hinges, that sort of thing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sounds like a fair bargain. It might well be the column then, mine was fitted upside down when I came to change it! Mine was so shagged I was getting a machine gun like knocking through the steering wheel as well as the shimmying. It was only a half hour job to change it once I'd figured which way up it went! You'll let us know of course........?

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:14:36 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

steering shaft now changed. I'll find out what effect next time I go out.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sensitive? Thick as f*ck i would say.

Why post this remark with no quoted text so we can gang up on whoeveer gave you the V?

Reply to
Nige

It can't be that exclusive, they haven't booted me off yet. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily