Newbie question regarding towing & electric connection

I am thinking of getting a Popup tent trailer and travelling around the States this summer. I have a Disco II which has a steel square towing recepticle, I assume to latch in a ball which the trailer can connect to. I don't see any wiring harness near by. Do I need to buy a ' tow wiring harness' and if so where does it wire into the Disco?

And does anyone know with any of the wires that do go to the trailer, can I charge an external 12 v battery (deep cycle RV type) off this?

Cheers,

Reply to
jcpearce

...and jcpearce spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

You need a wiring harness alongside the tow hitch. The wiring is already there in the Disco, in the RH rear pillar behind the lights, IIRC.

You will need (assuming you are in the UK) a 12S socket as well as the 12N, as this has a permanent live which can be used to charge a battery. It's used for caravans which have fridges and batteries that need power on the move. If all you needed was a 12v supply to charge a battery, I imagine you could do without and knock something together with a split charge relay and a few metres of heavy wire.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Thanks Rich

This is in the States To get to the wiring do I remove the RH rear light panel? And is the wiring already wired up in the form of a 12S or N, or do I need to wire this up from whatever harness is in there?

Cheers,

Reply to
jcpearce

jcpearce uttered summat worrerz funny about:

You should get a harness to plug into the existing socket, (from your Landrover parts supplier) the other end being wired for what ever you have in the US of A for your trailer wiring. Thats what I got in the UK.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D