Novice Question - SIII Cooling Fan

along........... steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Ooooo a post from the future! What's the weather like this evening?

-- Nelly

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Twas Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:58:46 -0700 when "Diogenes" put finger to keyboard producing:

IIRC the original S3 fan is mounted behind the rediator and so should suck the air.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

It should "suck". Even if the fan has been fitted to the pulley back-to-front the fan will still "suck", although not as efficiently as when fitted the correct way around. The only way for the fan to "blow" is for the engine to run backwards......which is unlikely! Just to check, the outside curve (i.e. the convex bit) on the blades should be facing the front of the vehicle.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hi all,

Should my SIII cooling fan 'suck' through the radiator, or blow towards it ??

I am having doubts because of the high running temps of my engine (I know it might be something else, but one step at a time !!)

Thanks

Reply to
Diogenes

Oh, never say never. Someone will be along in a moment who had one going backwards once....

Anybody remember the Bond with the dyno-start that ran both ways? Fine untill you set it to forwards, and it backfired and ran backwards anyway.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Didn't say never, said "unlikely". ;o)

Like it's unlikely that pulling the stop on an old 2¼ diesel will fail to do anything but stop the engine ....... until the day that:

a) the stop cable breaks b) the filter bath is over-filled c) any other infinitessimally unlikely event occurs (bright star in east, all soap operas banned from TV, GM cows start to piss petrol.....that sort of thing).

Steve

Reply to
Steve

OK then, seeing as how you ask. Wife's Cinquecento had a little prang and the insurer insisted on a Ford garage fixing it. Aforementioned prang did in valance and radiator. Collect car (in winter), no problems until summer when it seems to get hotter than it did and the fan runs more frequently.

Turns out that the prang had knackered the (electric) fan plug on the wiring loom, and rather than replace it the cheapskates had crimped a couple of .25" receptacles on the end. Then plugged 'em in back-to-front. Net result? A fan that blew (bably).

Muppets.

Reply to
QrizB