NUTS!

What are common sizes of wheel nuts on a Series2/2a/3?

Thanks, Scottie

Reply to
Scott snowling

hexagon is 11/16 AF I think god knows what the threads are as my series 3 has BSF on the engine and gearbox and UNF on prats of the chassis and the fuel pump is metric !!!!!! probably changed over time and I got a bitza caught in the middle.

Reply to
Rubberboy

If you mean what size socket you need to undo them, then 24mm or 27mm (or imperial equivalents 15/16ths and 1+1/16 I think). Series 3's should be the bigger one.

Reply to
Tom Woods

The reason i ask is today whilst trying to Borrow my dads 7.50s off his series 2 (he doesnt use it) i was faced with 4 nuts the same as my 2a, and one that is different on the front drivers side wheel. and i haven't a socket that fits...

Reply to
Scott snowling

9/16 BSF or 16mm I believe, changing about the introduction of the S3. The BSF nuts are tapered on both sides. JD
Reply to
JD

There are atleast 2 different designs of series 2 wheel nuts. (or its a locknut of some kind?)

There are ones that go over the end of the stud that are the same from both ends (so you can screw them on either way, both are the same), and some that are like the series 3 ones that have a flat top.

My mates has the latter, whereas one of my axles has the former (the other is a S3 one). Ive never found anything that wouldnt undo with one of the 2 sizes i mentioned, doesnt mean that your landy wont have something else on it though! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

its definatly not the 9/16 Bsfs, as theyre what are on my 2a.

this nut is totally flat...

Reply to
Scott snowling

On or around Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:06:27 +0100, "Scott snowling" enlightened us thusly:

what, both sides? it's wrong, then.

if it's flat on top, then it's likely to be a 27mm A/F.

I'd have thought the old ones were UNF rather than BSF, though they could be BSF if they were a carry-over from the series I.

old ones are 15/16" A/F, which is about 24mm.

27mm diesel injector sockets make nice wheel-nut sockets, BTW.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have both types on my Ser2a - two are double ended whilst the rest are flat at one end, they are all the same threading and take a 15/16" socket to remove.

AFAIK the double ended nuts were a feature of many Forces and Police LR types - I was told that it was because squaddies were too thick to suss out which end to bolt back to the wheel so, if they were identical, then no problem??

The smaller 15/16" ones should go with an 88" and the larger 1 1/16" with a

109" - after all this time though there's a lot of mix and match out there

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

If you mean socket, then early S2/2a have 11/16" AF, which you can use a 24mm. Late 2a and 3 use 1"1/16 AF, or 27mm.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The message from "Scott snowling" contains these words:

Just had the same deal on a SII which was to go for MOT this week till we discovered why it eats diffs. turns out some of original studs must have come loose at some time so some genius replaced them with larger SIII or ( possibly RR) ones with a a flat head, result brake drum does not settle properly, I suspect at low speed this is not a problem but when pushed on the road it has cracked the diff cage and latterly stripped every tooth off the crown wheel!

Reply to
Warwick Barnes

On or around Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:23:35 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

or even 15/16"...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sorry, finger slipped.