October unofficial, possible plan, w/e 11/12.

OK, been studying the map a bit.

The lower part of Sarn Helen is still on the map as a BOAT, (although would need to check the definitive map), from Glyn Neath up to Dyffryn Cellwen.

From there northwards, it's not obviously a RoW, except for some parts that are on public roads anyway.

Presuming the lower part to still be legit and driveable, I have a plan...

assemble here Friday night, 10th October. Provided there aren't too many caravans, we can find places to park 'em. Room for tents and some spare room space in the house.

Saturday morning, drive down to the lower end of Sarn Helen, drive the BOAT alongside/through Rheola forest. Not sure of the status of the next bit - the first part is "yellow" on the map but there are various dotted white bits and RUPP lines. Assuming that bit is no longer legit (it used to be) then drop down into Glyn-neath, if it chances to be lunchtime there used to be a pub there. Head up through Ystradfellte and over the Beacons and down to Heol Senni and Defynnog and Sennybridge.

If there's time, could go and look at Usk Reservoir. There's a bit of Roman road which I have driven but it's round dots on the map, so no idea if it's legit or not. Poeple do drive it, however, not that that is any guarantee - it runs roughly parallel to the A40 and passes the roman camp at the top of the hill.

In Llandovery there's the West End cafe for a cuppa, or depending on timing, head straight back here for a barbie and a few beers, weather permitting and/or head over to the local boozer which has rather passable local ale.

Sunday, convoy over to Internal fire to arrive about 10:30, might chuck in a bit of a scenic route. Grok engines, large and small, and at some suitable point depart in search of Sunday Lunch or reasonable substitute - Aberaeron might be a good bet for that, and if it's fine there's the harbour and seaside to look at.

well, that's about it. Who's up for it?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sounds great. Senior management will need to be asked first though.... Lambda probes will need replacing too :-(((

Steve

Reply to
steve

Sounds good.

Im unsure ill make it though, as we get back from Trukey late the sunday before, and have to work monday though friday.

Ill do my best :)

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Homo

Reply to
Nige

you big feckin' wuss! Turkey time is only 2hours out from here, and just a 4 hour flight according to my googling!.

I'm coping with 8 hour flights and a 5 hour time difference!, and have just done 10 days away, 5 back, then another 7 away.

Coming back is easy anyhow. Your body clock will be 2 hours ahead on monday - so you should be buggered by the end of work on monday, then get an early night and be sorted within a couple of days!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Two trips and you're an international jet-setter !

Melatonin fixes jet-lag

Steve

Reply to
steve

Its the 2 trips within a week of each other, and ive been working both whilst there and once back at home. Makes Mark a wuss! ;) He's away for a holiday!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I didn't say he wasn't a wuss did I ?? ;=) Steve

Reply to
steve

Me.

That does mean me ... wife and kids don't fancy a trip that far (Just had a fortnight touring Northern France) so it's likely that I'll pop along with a two-man tent and sleeping bag. Just looked at Autoroute,

240 odd miles, so that'll be two tanks of diesel over the weekend ... :(

I'll have a looksee at Memory Map at some point and work out a GPS route, maybe ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

120 miles/tank? Flipin eck... Brim to running on air I get 600miles/tank. Wouldn't do that with the offroad stuff but I doubt it would drop to 6mpg.

Sounds like a excellent week end, love to come along but having not worked since the end of June (broken ankle) I need to keep an eye on the finances. Yes I've got PHI that is paying out and I'm getting Incapacity Benefit but when those stop when I'm allowed back to work there will be a month or so before the cheques start coming through the letter box again.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There is no pressing need to have one in October, so we could leave it till next year and better weather ( he laughed, maniaclly)

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Its not me... Its bec. She will have loads of washing to do!!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Nope, 240 miles each way, then the laning/off-roading/general sight-seeing on top ... ;)

I get between 300 and 400 per tankful, depends where on the gauge I fill it .. If I towed the 'van it'd be even less, but then I don't hang about either ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Whats the postcode Paul?

Reply to
Nige

Working :-(

Reply to
Lee_D

SA19 8 - I am loth to post Austin's address on here.

- SA19 8 on Google maps is with 2 miles of Austin's place.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Dunno, I just put in LLandovery, so Austins place, from his description, may be even further away!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around 11 Sep 2008 13:11:02 GMT, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

depends on where you come from and by which route. About 10 miles by the most direct route and 12 by the most practical.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah... Putting the postcode into TomTom I come in at 257 miles but that is driving right down through mid-wales. I think I'd prefer to go Penrith M6 M5 M50 Monmouth Brecon that's 320 miles.

Does a 300tdi have a "small" tank then? My DII has a 20 gallon one, generally fill up at 1/4 or upper 400, lower 500 miles.

It'd be a good trip and I do want to see the Internal Fire museum preferably on a good crank up day. But it ain't going happen anytime soon maybe when the lad is a bit older...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

70 litres but, as you do, I only fill up at 1/4 full. Last year I was getting better mileages, but this year it's not been used as much and when it is it's either short journeys, towing the caravan, or off-roading, none of which do much for fuel consumption. Empty and motorway, which is what I'd be running for this 'do' would bring consumption up a lot. I also tend to be heavy-footed ... ;)

Yup.

Reply to
Paul - xxx