Maplin offer on laser sighted IR thermometer

Just picked up one of these. Half price IR thermometer with laser sight (19.99 until the end of the month). Great fun for making sure the missus is serving my tea at the right temperature, oh and for measuring the heat of my Defender 200TDi turbo which seems to be running hot (it smells in the cab). I measured it at 200 degress max. Question is, is that normal?

Regards,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave

cool!. ive fancied one of them for ages!

I am told it can also be used to trace misses and rich/lean cylinders on engines too as the manifold temperature will vary.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Expect a lot more than 200 deg C when the engine is really working! 600 deg C wouldn't be unreasonable (measured in the gas flow). I suspect that your smells are oil etc. burning off hot surfaces. Are the two oil connections to the turbo oil-tight?

Reply to
Dougal