Off the road but sadly not "off-roading"

Help!! I have managed to overheat (and partly melt!) my 300TDi Discovery engine so it is sat in a garage not being used. Any advice as to the most cost effective way to repair/replace the engine. Where can I get a secondhand replacement engine or reconditioned engine? Any recommended people to buy from or companies to avoid? Are their warranties worth the paper they're written on?

Reply to
Ga

Where

Turner Engineering have a good reputation for reconditioned Landrover engines:

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

How melted ? Block damage or head damage ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Try this mod after fitting the engine

Apparently the plastic plugs on the cooling system rot

Reply to
nospam

On or around 24 Apr 2007 02:47:36 -0700, Ga enlightened us thusly:

you'll want a new head if you've really cooked it, from what I hear. I forget who I got the one for ours from. If the pistons are iffy you'll want them too. get the block checked for flatness.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:12:35 GMT, nospam enlightened us thusly:

plastic plugs are horrid things. You can get the earlier brass ones from Beamends for a couple of quid.

and adding a coolant level sensor makes sense, too. never worked out why they didn't fit 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It saves 7g of weight and 87.3p in costs, therefore it doesn't get fitted.

Reply to
EMB

Not the most cost-effective but certainly worth considdering: Here in Holland, Vis Landrovers in Scheveningen-The Hague offers a 2.8 liter International turbo diesel engine as replacement for the 300tdi.

Lots of torque(+30%) and power(+24%)!

only in Dutch:

cheers Jurjen

Reply to
Jurjen Bolsenbroek

Has anyone heard of or used Heathrow engines? The re-conditioned engines they supply seem fairly cheap but a couple of people I have spoken to have said not to use them as the engines they supply may not be fully re-conditioned.

As a cheaper option where would I get hold of a second hand engine? Or is re-conditioned worth paying the extra for?

Reply to
Ga

What is actually wrong with the dead engine ? Used engines ? Ebay.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor