Paging the Dulux car painters

I am the proud owner of a 94 LWB Frontera, its white, the paintwork is not great but I've owned worse, I was going to go the matt black route but I've decided to keep her white.

Hammerite do not appear to do a Matt finish in white, does anyone know what sort of finish their "smooth white" is?

It occurred to me that the white paint used on UN vehicles may be matt but I can't see any for sale,

Adrian, I'm sure I've seen on here that you have at least one vehicle in Dulux, is this just matt emulsion, how does it stand up to being on a vehicle?

TIA

james

Reply to
john doe

"john doe" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Let's face it, it's shit. Might as well have some fun with it. There's a properly off-roaded Rangie near my office with a badly brush-painted union jack roof and luminescent green arches and roof rails. It never fails to raise a smile.

If it's Hammershite, it'll live up to the name.

Gloss.

It's currently in the throes of being repainted with Screwfix red oxide primer (Matt pinkish. Lovely.) but it's barely been washed in the eight or so years I've had it. The Dulux is peeling in places, but that's more down to shonky prep than anything else. The Dulux beneath it is still firmly attached to the original paint.

Think of it as a garage door with wheels attached - you wouldn't hesitate to just quickly flat back the garage door and lob a coat of gloss at it, would you? Then expect it to last for years before another flat back and quick once-over.

Reply to
Adrian

But not much I'll warrant :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Smooth enough for home heating radiators.

Reply to
Les Ross

Get some Dulux off white of your choice, 50/50 mix with thinners and spray away, done this on several off road machines and after a bit of practice getting quite a good finish.

Reply to
Geoff

Maybe his actual car is the Landwind ;-)

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Would masonry paint be any good? It's deffo hard waring and easier to apply then gloss, in that you can use a roller ;)

Reply to
Abo

Abo gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I can't see a roller being that useful, tbh. Too many nooks, crannies and corners. You'd certainly need to do the edges with a brush.

Anyway, you _can_ use a roller for gloss. Just not very easy to clean the damn thing out afterwards...

Reply to
Adrian

Seriously? Man, that's good. I had a mate who rag-rolled an old transit van in powder-blue emulsion once. Once.

What sort of finish does the gloss Dulux give? As good as a factory finish on any mass-produced car? How durable is it concerning stone- chips and stuff?

Is it the case that if you keep rubbing down and re-applying that the finish gets better? Is it just 'normal Dulux' gloss like from pee & spew?

The only other place I've seen an 'unconventional' paint job is that fella on t'interweb with his $50 paint job, which seemed pretty sweet.

Sorry for the 5-year-old-esqe volley of questions, but thanks in advance for any answers!

Reply to
conkersack

Yeah but should it be strawberry white or just hint'o'pink?

Reply to
PCPaul

have to admit to spraying a nova once with dulus, as above thin it down and fire away,

get a cracking shine out the gun too :)

Reply to
Rob

Roll your wagon

Reply to
Elder

that's why I brought it, it was a bit of a bit of an impulse buy, only went to book the mondeo in for a svc, walked out £875 lighter :-).

I've been thinking of buying a toy for a while now and I knew if I brought something fast and fun I'd lose my licence, so I got something slow and fun instead!

thanks for all the replies

james

Reply to
john doe

great link, cheers

james

Reply to
john doe

No worries. If/when I ever get a project car together I planned on trying something similar myself.

Reply to
Elder

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Don't be bloody silly.

It looks like Dulux applied with a brush.

Lob a coat on, let it dry, and drive the damn thing.

Yep. I've also used Wickes gloss for wheels & bumpers on the 4x4, because it was nice and cheap for the mix-it-up-to-a-swatch stuff.

Look, it's simple. It's a Frontbottom. Just go out there, lob a coat at it, and offroad the sodding thing. You can't polish a turd.

Reply to
Adrian

In my case the brightest green I could find, tho I think for a Fronerror it should be lilac ;-)

Reply to
Geoff

It's a gloss. It's not ideal for use on cars and it's relatively expensive. TBH I'd spray it using a cellulose paint. It's cheap, sprays well and since I can achive a decent fnish the work I do looks good enough and lasts better than dobbing away with a brush.

Reply to
Steve Firth

it wasn't me who said that!

james

Reply to
john doe

Seriously? Man, that's good. I had a mate who rag-rolled an old transit van in powder-blue emulsion once. Once.

What sort of finish does the gloss Dulux give? As good as a factory finish on any mass-produced car? How durable is it concerning stone- chips and stuff?

Is it the case that if you keep rubbing down and re-applying that the finish gets better? Is it just 'normal Dulux' gloss like from pee & spew?

Please tell me I've been wooshed and this post was a joke...?

Reply to
DanB