Colway Tyres

Until recently I was extremely happy with my Colway AT tyres, good grip and wear, 20k done, and over half the tread left.

Then I went outside to find a flattish tyre.

Took it off and noticed lots of sidewall splits, on the in board side of the tyre, so its not as though I have clouted it against a kerb or similar.

O bugger, checks the rest, to find that there is splitting beginning to appear on the other tyres fitted to the vehicle, a mixture of inboard and outboard edges.

Anyway, get onto Colway....

Their answer a week later is "Purchase some new tyres from us, send us those ones back for testing, and if there is a fault we may be able to give you some sort of a refund".

Now bearing in mind that this would cost me £250 for 5 new tyres, including the carriage charge, which they refuse to waive. I then have to pay to have them fitted and balanced, and pay for the old ones to be sent back, I reckon I would be nearly £350 out of pocket, with only the possibility of refund, no guarantee of a refund...... And WTF is "some sort of a refund"

Piccies are at

Trading Standards??

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

It's probably not a comfort, but bear in mind that these *are* remould tyres and that the carcasses may have already done 40-odd thousand miles before they even touched the road with you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Certainly Trading standards and possibly AA check on the tyres; Watchdog ?

If I were Colway I would be at CEO level and kicking hard to find a solution to the problem. Their good name must mean something. May be worth trying to get in touch with senior rather than muppet by phone. Tell them you are giving them a chance to put their side to you before you get serious.

Despite the fact they may have done mileage before, they should be fit for the purpose; obviously they are not.

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:33:25 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

Just BTW, how TF have you got 'em to last that long? The set I had on the

110 were worn down in about 20K miles, although they were good enough in that period.

They do look unduly shagged. looks like the sort of damage you get when the tyre has be run flat - I'd pursue this one with colway and take the line that the casing must have had previous damage which should have been picked up when they remoulded it.

you have had them quite a while and used 'em quite a lot, so they might argue that they're not really required to give a full refund.

but if they're shagged, then you'll have to pay for new ones anyway... I'd go the "more in sorrow than in anger" approach, you're much saddened 'cos you were very happy with the tyres until... and colway have a good reputation for remoulds, reputable firm, you thought that they'd be good...

well, you admit that you've done 20K miles, you surely don't expect a full refund? If the tyres are half-worn, then I seriously doubt you'll get more than half, anyway. The casings do look dodgy though, so worth pursuing.

Can't you involve your tyre dealer, order the new ones through him and get him to agree that the old ones are shagged, and send 'em back by the normal distribution system?

I'd hang fire on trading standards, keep that as a last resort. being reasonable and polite works better than threats, in most cases - you can always invoke trading standards later if you get no joy. I'd angle for a refund based on the remaining tread which you can now no longer use.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Quoting from Colway's website:

"Many Colway products carry the company's Lifetime Guarantee, which offers to replace a tyre if it is found to suffer from a manufacturing fault or accidental damage whatever the mileage."

Regards

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:13:27 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

yeah, wasn;t expecting a full refund of the tyre cost, but the carriage costs are not included in the refund......

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:21:23 +0100, "Jeff" scribbled the following nonsense:

still have the stickers, which I took off the spare when I fitted it...

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

That would be the advantage of going thru' the distributors.

Reply to
GbH

You could always point out that you can't get carriage at a reasonable rate due to the size and weight, perhaps they could pick them up themselves before someone from the press gets hold of a set of tyres that are dangerous due to a manufacturing defect........

Alex

Reply to
Alex

And I'll bet the fine print says it's a pro-rata replacement.

Reply to
EMB

I don't quite see how you can do a "pro-rata replacement" (not a refund) unless they have a stock of part worn tyres!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The distance selling act is your friend!!!

Reply to
Nige

Yea, 20,000 miles is quite a distance...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor