One Less WJ On The Road

Well, it seems that there is going to be one less WJ on the road in Houston... Grace had an accident in her 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited

4x4 early this evening... From what I've been able to gather, a white Ford Mustang swerved into her lane on the highway and she slammed on her brakes and attempted to swerve into the next lane in an attempt to avoid hitting him... Things got real interesting at that point and she flipped it... Not sure how many times it rolled over, but it was upright in the end... I would be extremely surprised if it was not totalled... I don't think that the Mustang stayed around either... Hell, she had just gotten through repairing quite a few door dings and such over the car...
Reply to
Grumman-581

Is your bride okay?

Reply to
billy ray

Not sure exactly what you mean by that comment, but both occupants in the vehicle came out with minimal injuries... A couple of scrapes and such, but nothing major (i.e. no broken bones, no uncontrolled bleeding, no displaced body parts, etc)... Apparently, my constant reminder to her to wear her seat belt properly (i.e. across the pelvis, not across her stomach) is finally starting to sink in...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Wow. Hope she is ok!

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

In article , Grumman-581 wrote: #On Sat, 6 May 2006 23:47:41 -0400, "billy ray" wrote: #> Is your bride okay? # #Not sure exactly what you mean by that comment, but both occupants in #the vehicle came out with minimal injuries... A couple of scrapes and #such, but nothing major (i.e. no broken bones, no uncontrolled #bleeding, no displaced body parts, etc)... Apparently, my constant #reminder to her to wear her seat belt properly (i.e. across the #pelvis, not across her stomach) is finally starting to sink in...

Glad it sunk in in time! As long as everyone is ok, the rest is just stuff. And stuff can be replaced so I think you made out ahead. Anyone get the plate number off the pony?

People who have been upside down in a car tend to religiously wear seatbelts. I don't think you will need to remind her anymore!

I rolled a YJ in '91 and the only injury I got was when I popped the buckle to get out and fell on my head. The sad thing was that the next day, someone came into the shop and said, "I can do better than dat!" and towed in a almost identical YJ that was in a roll over. He had a shredded hard top vs. my mostly intact soft top. Boy, that was a mess. The guy's dog was a fatality, too.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Sorry to hear that BTW which highway? US 59 Humble area is notorious for wrecks. I'm glad every one is Ok. Good luck in the future.

dr_kill

04 Montecarlo 3.4L Metallic Silver 20% Black Tint Cat-back 3" straight pipe Flowmaster Muffler

Reply to
GENERAL LEE

US-59 on the SW side, just past Beltway 8... Hell, US-59 is notorious for wrecks, no matter what part you're on... Usually it is just the normal rush hour fender benders though... This accident couldn't be blamed on road conditions though... The road is not under construction here and it is quite a few lanes wide... The idiot in the Mustang just decided to quickly change lanes on top of her... Didn't even *slowly* change lanes, just quickly jerked it into her lane and she tried to avoid... I'm not really sure if the vehicles touched... She seems to think that she felt a bump or heard a loud noise, but it happened so quickly, she's not really sure... It's not like her WJ is so small that the idiot in the Mustang couldn't see it! Oh well, she's been wanting to get something that gets better gas mileage anyway... Maybe I can convince her to get one of the diesel VWs with a 5-speed... She's kind of lazy and likes an automatic though...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Ditto here in Aus (W.A), for both the novelty factor and insurance premiums :)

Both my vehicles are on what is called an "agreed value" insurance policy. My insurance company and I revise that value every year at renewal and that adjusts the premium that I pay. Incidentally the policy covers everything, including off-road use for recreational use (as long as I am not timed or have to wear a helmet, it is considered recreational).

The funny thing is that my wife's car is depreciating faster than my Wrangler, which has not changed in value much in the past two years. Wranglers have a novelty factor here, so maintain their values very well.

Reply to
Jason Backshall

Interesting... Is that the standard type of automotive insurance in Australia? I've never seen that here in the US for autos... Planes, yeah, but not autos...

Reply to
Grumman-581

You can get it in the US but it isn't cheap. Generally that type of insurance is for collector cars or the >100,000 crowd.

I'm getting ready to drop the comprehensive on my ZJ since it would be "totalled" after only about 2k in damage or 1,500 after deductable. Even though the only problem it currently has is a saggy headliner. :/

Silly thing is, ZJ is now worth more parted out.

Reply to
DougW

I'm not surprised... From what I gathered from Grace, her WJ was still running after being flipped... I went up to the storage facility today to take a look at it and get some things out of it... About the only thing that wasn't damaged in a major way was the tailgate... Apparently, it rolled over sideways, not frontways... The front was crushed a bit from an apparent impact with the concrete median divider and the top of the hood was rather damaged from being ground down... Of course, the roof of the car was damaged... The engine looked to still be good, but I would expect that radiator and forward stuff woiuld need to be replaced... All four rims were in various stages of destruction... Although the interior is in great shape, other than a bit of blood spots here and there, because it no longer has any windows, the next rain will result in all the leather being ruined...

Hmmm... I wonder if I could put that engine in my XJ?

Reply to
Grumman-581

sorry to hear.. glad everyone is OK!

Reply to
Jeeper

I went up to the tow facilty on Sunday to get some personal items out of the vehicle, took some photos, and put them on a page that I had started for the WJ, but never got around to finishing...

Does it look totalled to ya'll?

Grumman-581

Grumman-581 did pass the time by typing:

Yep, it's toast. With the unibody frame the WJ uses it can't be fixed after that type of damage. And with the hits it took I would not feel comfortable using drive train parts without rebuilding them first. You can write off the axles with that type of damage.

The drag link is probably bent and that's why the wheel is out of alignment.

Glad everyone is ok, that' the important thing.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

In article , TW wrote: #The funny thing is that my wife's car is depreciating faster than my #Wrangler, which has not changed in value much in the past two years. #Wranglers have a novelty factor here, so maintain their values very #well.

Actualy, it is the same here in the States. Wranglers just don't depreciate as quickly as many other cars. It's probably the resale demand/novelty factor as you mentioned.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

In article , L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote: # They'll total it, you may have to use an attorney to get a fair #price, though. # Thanks for posting it, as I was interested in how well the top #held, and it did. # I don't see air bags, is this it second accident and as so often #the bags weren't replaced? Airbags only deploy under limited circumstances, like when the front is totaly smashed up. Like this:

the front bumper does not get smashed in like that, they will notdeploy. The safety features are designed for the NHTSA tests, not the real world.

The type of rollover Grace had would have deployed side curtain air bags, but since it's not a later model WJ (no piller-mounted Jesus bars), there were no side bags, just the fronts...

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Hi Bill!

You have a newer WJ, 2002 or later, right? My 1999 does not have that. You probably have two front Jesus bars on the D pillars next to the front windshield. I have only one front Jesus bar on the passenger side and it is in the same position relative to the holder as your rear seat Jesus bars. If you had the front Jesus bar located near the head as on the earlier WJs, it would smack your head when it deployed.

As far as where the control module is located, it's not relavent. It takes a impact to the car that would crush up the bumper into the engine compartment to activate the front airbags...

/herb

In article , L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote: #Hi Herb, # The side air bags warning labels are located above the pillar: #

The control module is located#on the floor between the seats and under the console:#
# God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O#mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com # #Herb Leong wrote: #> #> Airbags only deploy under limited circumstances, like when the front is #> totaly smashed up. Like this: #>
If the front bumper does not get smashed in like that, they will not#> deploy. The safety features are designed for the NHTSA tests, not#> the real world. #> #> The type of rollover Grace had would have deployed side curtain air #> bags, but since it's not a later model WJ (no piller-mounted Jesus #> bars), there were no side bags, just the fronts... #> #> /herb

Reply to
Herb Leong