disco1 swivel replacement

the nearside swivel is leaking grease so i want to replace it, apart from a hub nut spanner,ball joint splitter and spring balance are there any other special tools i might need. if anyone has already done this job before was there any part that caused major problems? is the haynes manual procedure the easiest way or are there short cuts not mentioned in haynes? finally with no major hold ups i am reckoning about 3hrs start to finish, is this about right?

paul.

Reply to
Paul

Sounds good so far.. time will depend on that evasive nut or bolt.

Are the chrome balls actually pitted or scored? If not it is possible to replace just the seal. You can do this by cutting the seal at it's top most point. A little dab of silicon on the rejoined seal should sort it once fitted however for a more porfessional job yoiu could use some proffesional jointint compund as used in the Split CV Kits I've used on other vehicles. Though to be honest it's unlikely you will need to.

If you do strip it all down don't forget some locktite for the caliper bolts.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Sounds reasonable. Which type of ball joint splitter do you have? The hammer-on-the-end type will knacker the boot of the TRE, the scissor action ones are much better. Better still, get someone to show you the hitting-the-steeing-arm-on-the-end-with-a-big-hammer method.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Richard how much is the swivel kit, i need the whole lot, chrome ball and grease, also do you sell the hub spanner?

paul

Reply to
Paul

I usually split the ball joints by hitting each side at the same time with two hammers, a tap on top and they pop out. If there is a stuborn one an air hammer works wonders. The hub nut spanner is 52mm AF, I mannaged to get one for £8 at a tool stall at a model aircraft show but you can get a box spanner for about £5. Applogies to Beamends but I got my kit from Paddocks before I found you guys. As to cutting the seal, there is a spring around the seal that tensions the goint onto the swivel, if you cut the seal you cut the spring. You mention grease, I'd use 90s oil and replace it every 6 months, you can't get all the grease out so your buggered if you want to change. Don't forget the paper gaskets etc, you wont be able to re-use the old ones.

Cheers

Reply to
Pete S

Assuming its before JA032849 and non-ABS, a kit of everything including grease and hub spanner is £92.72 inc VAT and delivery. That includes the two swivel pin bearings (it may be possible to re-use the old ones, but not worth the grief in my book), the hub seals (again, the old ones might not need replacing, but then is it worth doing it all again to fix a leak?) - Note that post JA032850 vehicles only have one seal, some shims, swivel ball and all seals and gaskets.

Proper itemised quote mailed to OP.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd