OT - anyone here?

Returning from holiday yesterday I saw a vehicle on the A40 west of Whitland in Carmarthenshire. At first I thought it was the 6-wheeler 101 (still?) owned by David French - same cream colour, with two massive spares on the back - and towing a small sailing boat. When I passed it and got a good look, it was a Pinzgauer, lower profile than the 101, with multi-coloured stripes down the side, but cream in colour and with six wheels. I was in the middle lane on a long hill when I passed, so I didn't stay for a chat, but I just wondered if anyone here knew anything.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Certainly not me or anyone I know of (yet), if it had a large, square, prominent radiator grille on the front then it was some rich bustard in a gen 2 pinz, not a pauper like me in an air-cooled gen 1. If it was moving at more than 20 MPH up a hill towing a boat, then also a gen 2.. I can barely hit 40 up a hill without a boat. Gen 2 pinzes are top-notch tow vehicles.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Hi Richard , I know the hill well, I'm up by the junction of the A40 / A487 , maybe the guy is down for a holiday or off to Ireland, I 'll keep an eye out for him. Saw a 101 down here last year ... orange with a chalk board on the side .

steve the grease

Reply to
R L driver

|| On 2006-06-25, Richard Brookman wrote: || ||| When I passed it and got a good look, it was a Pinzgauer, lower ||| profile than the 101, with multi-coloured stripes down the side, but ||| cream in colour and with six wheels. || || Certainly not me or anyone I know of (yet), if it had a large, || square, prominent radiator grille on the front then it was some rich || bustard in a gen 2 pinz, not a pauper like me in an air-cooled gen || 1. If it was moving at more than 20 MPH up a hill towing a boat, || then also a gen 2.. I can barely hit 40 up a hill without a boat. || Gen 2 pinzes are top-notch tow vehicles. || || -- || Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!

I wouldn't know a Pinzgauer if it bit me on the ankle, but it had the name written on (I think) the mirror mount on the driver's door, and I remembered reading on here that some folk had them. On the Whitland bypass he was travelling quite well, but on the hill he slowed to about 20. So a gen 1, then! The fact that I was pulling a caravan up the same hill meant I had plenty of time to read the name, although I didn't look back to check the style of the radiator grille. Careless, I know. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

David French's is no longer creme coloured! Its more kinda technicoloured now!

Reply to
Tom Woods

|| Richard Brookman wrote: ||| Returning from holiday yesterday I saw a vehicle on the A40 west of ||| Whitland in Carmarthenshire. At first I thought it was the ||| 6-wheeler 101 (still?) owned by David French - same cream colour, ||| with two massive spares on the back - and towing a small sailing ||| boat. When I passed it and got a good look, it was a Pinzgauer, ||| lower profile than the 101, with multi-coloured stripes down the ||| side, but cream in colour and with six wheels. I was in the middle ||| lane on a long hill when I passed, so I didn't stay for a chat, but ||| I just wondered if anyone here knew anything. ||| || Hi Richard , I know the hill well, I'm up by the junction of the A40 || / A487 , maybe the guy is down for a holiday or off to Ireland, I || 'll keep an eye out for him. Saw a 101 down here last year ... || orange with a chalk board on the side . || || steve the grease

Is that the A478 at Penllewin? (A487 is the H/W to St David's road.) Close to me (in afl terms anyway) - I'm just off the A40 going N out of H/West.

Funnily enough, I was going to the kennels to retrieve the dog this afternoon and down a very narrow road near Walwyn's Castle I had to give way to - ta-daaa - the same guy in a Pinz. Minus boat this time. Presumably he'd parked it somewhere and gone for an explore. LHD vehicle, guy about

50, wife in front seat, neither smiled or acknowledged that I had given way for them. So definitely not afl people then.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| David French's is no longer creme coloured! Its more kinda || technicoloured now!

I'd heard something like that. Mind you, this one did have a multicoloured zigzag down the sides.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

R L driver wrote: . orange with a

That's Cliff Woodwards.

Steve

Reply to
steve

Trying not to be pedantic but I have the A487 as going from HW up to St Davids and then on up the coast to Bangor. I'm in between Fishguard and Newport not far off the A487. As you say the A478's the Crymych road (someone posted recently about looking at a LR up there), its easy to get them mixed up. Maybe we should have an afl meetup at Jumbo's sometime :)

Steve the grease

Reply to
R L driver

Richard> the 6-wheeler 101 (still?) owned by David French - same Richard> cream colour, with two massive spares on the back - and Richard> towing a small sailing boat. When I passed it and got a

David's is now multi-coloured. You wouldn't mistake it for anything else.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

|| Trying not to be pedantic but I have the A487 as going from HW up || to || St Davids and then on up the coast to Bangor. I'm in between || Fishguard and Newport not far off the A487.

Aye right - I was thinking of the proximity to Whitland hill, sorry.

|| Maybe we should have an afl meetup at Jumbo's || sometime :)

Now that's an idea. He owes me some playtime as he keeps borrowing my trailer.

Reply to
Richard Brookman