OT: Diesel was never like this

Greetings

Here's a little off-topicary

Hopes high for diesel speed bid

if that link doesn't do it for you, then chase the vid from here:
Wonder if we'll ever see diesels pulling the 1/4 mile sprint competitive= ly.

Reply to
William Tasso

only if they've got about 300 gears ;-)

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

On or around Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:34:26 +0100, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

I've been wondering how they were getting on.

dunno - it depends if anyone can be arsed, I should think - most things can be done with enough money and effort. Look at the work and money that went into thrust SSC for example. remember watching that on the telly, and it was an amazing moment when it made it through the barrier.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:46:28 +0100, "GrnOval" enlightened us thusly:

nah, sod-off torque converter and no gears at all. acceleration is mostly down to torque, and diesels are good at torque.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

competitively.

You're spot on there, you would never manage to change the 300 gears in

1/4 mile anyway, take too long. ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Didn't they do well? 100 mph or so faster than the previous record. Well done, Bamfords! Makes me proud I used to be a Pom :)

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

Once a pom, always a pom...

Stuart Lover of God's Own Earth, and definitely not a stuck-up sticky beak.

"Hear, hear, well spoken Bruce"

Reply to
Srtgray

It seems that no-one else in this thread noticed that Le Mans 24-hour race was won this year by a diesel, and I don't mean the diesel class, or anything else, it was won outright by an Audi diesel. It was more fuel economic so didn't have to stop so much, and also just simply outperformed the petrol cars. It did 380 laps in 24 hours, a new record (the race is run over 24 hours so the amount of laps varies).

Diesels have a number of concessions in the race, but much of this is to overcome the artificial limitations of a race, e.g. intake diameter restrictions don't apply in real life but do in the race, instantly putting diesels at an unfair disadvantage as diesels eat more air per unit of power produced, so the restrictions were relaxed for diesels. A range of other changes were made too, but again all were to cater for entirely petrol-oriented technical restrictions. The only area the audi really had an advantage is that it was allowed to carry as much fuel as the petrol cars, which helps because diesel carries more energy per litre than petrol.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:07:33 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

I noticed that, and I was impressed. Mind you, endurance racing is not formula 1, but even so.

while clearing up my room the other day, I found a CAR special supplement about a project to break the 24-hour distance record for a production car, which they did a few years back with a Vovlo, around millbrook's high-speed bowl. average of about 143 mph for 24 hours.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Trouble is every Irish Navvy will now want a supersonic JCBGT!

Reply to
GbH