OT: IE7 vs Firefox

I've been using Firefox for a good while now, and I like it. A mate who knows his stuff says he much prefers IE7. I thought I would do a little comparison. I've always known that Firefox is a bit hungry for memory, and I thought that I would see which program used the most.

Firefox, sitting there doing nothing but display my home page (iGoogle with a load of bookmarks, and a few links to BBC, weather, Wikipedia, etc.) is gobbling 21MB of RAM. If I open IE7 and go to the same page, it's using slghtly less - 20.6MB.

So far, so comparable. However, they start to show some difference when you start opening tabs in the same window. The memory usage for 1, 2, 3, 4 and

5 tabs open simultaneously (all on the same URL) is as follows:

IE7 - 20.6, 30.7, 39.2, 46.7, 54.0 FF - 21.0, 23.9, 26.0, 27.6, 29.9

So IE7 uses fractionally less memory with one tab open, but uses an additional 8.4MB on average for each new tab you open. FF, on the other hand, asks for an average of 2.2MB per new tab. Not scientific, I know, but perhaps indicative of the two programs handling things very differently.

Anyone the faintest idea why?

Reply to
Rich B

FF 2 or what ? The very latest bleeding edge FF is supposed to be better at memory management.

Steve

Reply to
steve

2.0.0.11
Reply to
Rich B

Firefox 3 Beta is out now, might be worth looking at that?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Don't get me wrong - I'm perfectly happy with Firefox. I was just wondering why IE was so much more memory-hungry than FF when opening multiple tabs, given that they used much the same amount in their basic state. Using the Rule Of Tim, I was hoping some code-junkie would be able to explain :-)

Reply to
Rich B

Apart from the normal conspiracy theory of Micro$oft wanting you to upgrade your computer as often as possible on account of the alleged tie-in with Intel you mean? ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

On or around Fri, 25 Jan 2008 20:05:21 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

IE is a pile of s**te.

I've stuck with what is now seamonkey, although I only install the browser, mainly 'cos there are one or two things that FF does subtly differently, and I prefer the thing I know.

but functionally, they're both built on the same Gecko engine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've got Firefox on one machine, and Seamonkey suite on the other - which I use for the email. Can't say I ever have a problem, the interface is almost identical.

Used to use Opera before I went to Mozilla, the opera browser was a lot better than IE, and the Mozilla browsers are better still. My IE is still the original 6.0 that came with Win2k......

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Taken as read, mate, taken as read.

Reply to
Rich B

In one way it is better, and that's a way that matters to me. I use Outlook Web Access to read work emails from home, and the IE interface is vastly superior to Firefox's. Otherwise, I wuld have uninstalled it when I got the computer.

Actually, serious point, I see a lot of "Mickey$$oft is sh11!te" comments floating about the interweb, and that seems to be the default position for most switched-on users. But, taking away Microsoft's attempts to rule the world and the identified poor usage of system resources discussed in this thread, what is actually bad about IE7? Now that IE has caught up with Firefox with things lke tabbed browsing, I find the functionality of the two programs very similar. I use IE7 at work all the time and have no complaints.

Reply to
Rich B

My Firefox often consumes 250Mb of memory, even with only one tab open. Shutting it down & re-opening just one tab, & it's down to a mer 42Mb. Thunderbird typically uses some 75Mb.

I suspect all those extensions I use are responsible :(

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

On firefox I tend to use the keyboard to navigate quite a lot, including doing page searches by just typing the word, no need fo faff about bringing up dialogues, entering the whole search word and then hitting enter, you just start typing the word and when you get to where you want, you stop typing. On the beeb website for example I can get from some deeply nested page straight to the front page normally by just typing anything from "fro" to "front p" then when the link is selected, hitting return. I like adblocker too, very useful.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Wow! That's some extensions. Good point, though. I didn't mention in my orignal post, but if I open 5 tabs in Firefox (memory approx 30MB) and then close them again, the memory use stays up around 25-27MB. Closing and re-starting FF brings it back close to the 21MB of a "fresh start", but to get it right back to the 21MB requires a shut-down and re-boot of the PC. There's obviously a lot of stuff hanging round in there which won't go away once you start to use the facilities.

Reply to
Rich B

Slightly related (I hope). As I use Firefox and Thunderbird, I have set the URL: MailTo Protocol under folder options/file types under Control Panel to open Thunderbird as instructed somewhere in the Firefox FAQs. This persists for a variable period of time before reverting to opening Outlook.

Re-boots have no effect on the persistence.

Any thoughts?

I only have Outlook for the calendar and address book which sync with my PDA.

Using XP Pro BTW.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

find the registry key it changes and force it in as a startup program.

if you uninstall outlook I think the pda syncing stuff will sync with the windows address book rather than the outlook one.

Not sure about the calendar stuff. it must sync with something else instead?...

Reply to
Tom Woods

Good idea

Another good idea!

Hm. I should have said that the PDA runs Pocket Windows.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

is it using activesync to sync with windows? dont you get a choice of what program it will sync each item with somewhere in the setup?

its been a while since i used it.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hi Tom

I'm not sure if Activesync will do anything other than talk to Outlook - in that big, sharing way that MS operates ;-)

But not to worry.

Thanks

Richard

Reply to
Richard

There's a bit here on other apps and even for those of the fruity persuasion, but maybe a bit out of date.

John Williamson

Richard,

Take a look at BirdieSync -

- if you need a way to sync your PDA with Thunderbird and Lightning/Sunbird. Easy to set-up and use but not free (unfortunately).

Reply to
SteveG