OT-ish: why oh why?

Was sat in a car park the other day in my Rangie and some bloke came up to me and asked me to help him. He had a 4x4 (some jap cr*p - no idea what!) and he couldn't get it to go anywhere. Wondered if I could help.

Went over to his vehicle and started it up, popped it into D and sure enough it just sat there doing nothing. Quick check around and I found he'd knocked the transfer box into neutral. "No idea what the lever does" he said. I tried to explain, but he still didn't get it. Why do these people bother to buy a machine they don't understand? Least you would expect was that the dealer who sold him it would explain. In the course of the conversation he told me he wanted a Volvo estate, but his wife made him buy a 4x4 - he wasn't a happy bunny!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

It's called catching a box full of neutrals, it can (and does) happen to the best of us!

Reply to
GbH

It's also a fairly good theft deterrent.

Reply to
Mother

It sure does! After coming home from holiday i did exactly the same. I shat my pants thinking the RR was fecked for about a minute!!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

I'm sure it does happen occasionally, we all get tripped up with the simple things now and again, but he didn't even know what the lever did, let alone how to operate it! Hate to think how long he would have been sat there if he hadn't asked me to help. I just told him to always make sure it was in the "H" position!

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

I guess it's just a case of what interests you - i know there's a washing machine in my house somewhere but i'd have to think where it was, and i have no idea what the buttons and levers do!

Dave

Reply to
edeowner

...and snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

That'll all have to change, by Jove yes. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

No, no, it's fine honestly, we've got an agreement, she operates the washing machine, hoover, and dishwasher, and i get spiders out of the bath and the stuff off the high shelves in Tescos.............

Reply to
edeowner

...and snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Typical male/female 50/50 split, then :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

at the moment, but that ratio may change when the garage is built...............

Reply to
edeowner

You should have put it in Low range, and sat there while he pootled along. Im sure he would work it out soon enough!

Mark.

9090
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

On 14 Jan 2006 11:43:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com scribbled the following nonsense:

h'mm you should see it when I rebuild an axle in the kitchen, then SWMBO wanted her engine rebuilding in her SJ, so i stripped it apart and told her to clean it. Where did she clean it....... And she put all the bits in the two meat trays that we have..... at least i only put bits in old chinese take away trays and the such like....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I take the same approach with electricity. I know there are switches on the wall - I press them and lights come on and other gadgets begin to work. However I have no idea how electricity works nor have I ever been curious!

Reply to
Viviane

At least you know the switch on the wall turns the light on!

I have no idea how my transfer box works, but I know what it does and how to use it!

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

An even better one if the truck also has an overdrive lever that will go into neutral. :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Sadly, it is not always enough.

Reply to
Dougal

Witchcraft. They'll tell you otherwise, but *I* know.

Reply to
jermec

Whatever you do there will probably be someone somewhere who can get past it :( Its enough to confuse me when i first get in it sometimes so can't be totally pointless!

I reckon that the fact that even after 4 years or so of practise, everytime i manage to get my landy to start it feels like a minor miracle when it kicks in should deter most thieves. Every so often even i can't start it.

Reply to
Tom Woods