OT mig co2 bottles

Anyone know how/where to source a decent sized bottle of co2 for mig welding? I have a SIP Turbomate 130 and have used it to weld new dumb irons, crossmember, outriggers, A-posts and so on but I'm fed up with buying those silly little bottles of co2!

One of the advantages advertised with this SIP welder is that it has a regulator which fits 'standard-sized' bottles of gas but I don't know what to buy, where to look or how much to pay (ie a rip-off waiting to happen!).

Can anyone advise? What about those pub co2 bottles offered on Ebay every so often -- any good?

Alternatively, can the flux-cored wire used for gasless welders be used?

Reply to
Jerry

Groan... of course this question (or something like it) has been asked a million times here already -- just read old posts -- apologies.

Seems like flux wire is more or less useless, the best gas is an argon/co2 mix and the best source for a big bottle is BOC who will rent one for =A335pa -- can anyone confirm?

Reply to
Jerry

I rent an X size (I think) bottle of "Migweld universal" (argon/co2 mix) from Energas and find it a lot cheaper than BOC, try contacting your local dealer:

I had to buy a reg. and they don't come cheap, I'm surprised to hear that SIP welders come with one for a 'proper' bottle as it would add a huge premium to the price when many would never use it. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Seems a pretty good analysis except I think I was paying gbp8/month for a small bottle and the refill charge including cylinder handling added about 25 quid each time.

Whilst it doesn't make anywhere as smooth a weld, using the same regulator on a CO2 fire extinguisher works for me, lasts for ages and only costs 10quid for 2kg if you cannot find an abandoned one at the ti^H^H civic amenities site.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

On or around 3 Oct 2006 05:06:56 -0700, "Jerry" enlightened us thusly:

I get bottles from Air Products, less pernickety than BOC...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

waiting to

I rent oxygen, acetylene and pure argon form BOC (hence having no legs and arms) but the CO2 I get now at the local 'brewery tap' beer supplier who provide pub size bottles with kegs for parties. They are outright sale (no deposit) and not cheap but at least no annual rental. When I used to travel about more in my job I had no problem swapping empty pub CO2 bottles for full ones using the normal currency of pictures of the Queen - I just waited until I saw a brewery lorry delivering to a pub and accosted the driver.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I use a pub Co2 bottle that I bought direct from the gas suppliers, it was £40 outright sale (the bottle was full). I now pay £10 a refill and the bottle lasts for ages, probably 3-4 hours of actual welding, maybe more, not really timed it.

What I have noticed is the last time that I changed a bottle over he changed it for a small squat tank (same volume) but obviously for welding rather than pubs. I bought 2 bottles at the time so I didnt run out half way through a job.

Whilst I dont doubt that the argon mix is better (I have never used it so I dont know) I have damn good welds with the CO2 and have no complaints. From what I remember, the regulator wasnt that dear, it was about £25 and another £10 for the flowmeter. When you consider the cost of the small bottles of gas or the yerly rental charges it is very cheap.

steve

Reply to
Steve Nunn

Coogar and other mixes give much better quality welds on mildsteel, less sputter and better, guaranteed penetration, even at the welder's limit.

Try it and you'll be converted. Steve

Reply to
steve

Apparently some pub gases include Nitrogen so make for even poor welding than pure CO2, I was very pleased with the move to Argon/CO2 mix as it improved my welding (which needed improving!).

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Have a look in the yellow pages for any local pub gas suppliers. My local keeps a few bottles to one side to sell to diy welders £10 a go they last ages and work fine If you are used to welding with argon/co2 you might find you will have to mess with the mig's settings a bit to get your desired results but worth the effort for the amount of money you will save.

Icky

Reply to
icky

Generally, I'm aiming for the best possible weld quality, and rarely admire the job for the amount of money I saved !

Steve

Reply to
steve

On or around Wed, 04 Oct 2006 22:55:40 +0100, steve enlightened us thusly:

Coogar or similar is much better on clean steel. I've heard it said that straight CO2 is better on rusty steel.

Coogar is CO2, Oxy and Argon mix. It comes in different flavours, too, like Coogar 5, for example. the number tells you something about what ratios of gases, but I forget what. I rent a little diddy PT10 bottle, but it has lots of pressure inside it as it's filled at 230 bar, same as the bigguns - pub gas bottles are lower pressure, around 1000 psi IIRC froma mate who used to use 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Then it's Coogar(Air Products) or Argoshield(BOC) for you.

CO2 is crap and you don't want to be welding any oxidised surface.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Sun, 8 Oct 2006 00:32:23 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, but sometimes you don't get much choice.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What, with the gas, or the oxidised metal?; you can always clean it first :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I see, it's on the 109", the bit that's made to collect salt and water. I used to cut that bit completely off the chassis top, remake the bit with the bolt hole in it after putting a new flat bit on the chassis top and then weld the sides on last. BTW, WTF is the Lord Copper bit, not with you there?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:24:05 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

it's a trap to see how widely read people on the interweb are.

comes from Evelyn Waugh's "Scoop", wherein Lord Copper is the proprietor of the newspaper. If he's right about something, then it's "definitely, Lord Copper", and if he's wrong, it's "up to a point, Lord Copper".

well worth a read, IMHO.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| up to a point, Lord Copper.

ah, another Waughmonger. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Comprehension dawns, so then it's "up to a point, Lord Copper" as I haven't the time or inclination at the moment, but that doesn't mean to say that I won't get a round tuit in the near future. :-) I haven't enough time to scan through the LROI or Old Bike Mart as I would like.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:18:03 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

hehe. have to admit, I've not read anything *other* than Scoop.

Reply to
Austin Shackles