OT Minibus Advice

A relative is looking to buy a used Minibus for around the £3k mark, she hasn't a clue what to look for and nor have I for that matter. I suggested playing safe and sticking with a Ford Transit rather than an LDV etc. Anyone on here got any advice, tips or know of one for sale locally?

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

Does she hold the relevant license to drive one ?

Reply to
Hirsty's

She is an ex-teacher and used to drive them at the school so I guess so. Do you need a special licence to drive one even if it is for private use?

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

Place on Sticker lane always has loads in cheap, also a place on Leeds road in Huddersfield too.

Reply to
Nige

It depends on the number of seats and how long she's had a licence. One break point at the moment is 9 seats including the driver with a cutoff date for grandfather rights that I can't remember exactly, but I think is about 1991.

Another break point is 15 seats for non-commercial work, again with a cut-off date for the licence.

The rules are in the process of changing at the moment as well, just to add to the confusion:-)

I'm on mobile login at the moment, so time & bandwidth are a problem. The info should be on the DVLA site if you can find it;-)

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

Cheers, checked DVLA and up to 15 seats is Ok as long as not for hire/reward.

Reply to
Andy

On or around Thu, 24 May 2007 18:35:03 +0100, "Andrew Cooke" enlightened us thusly:

later LDV convoy uses transit engine and box.

what size bus, is the critical thing.

There are loads of 17 seaters around, not so many 12-seaters. The rules are getting ever tighter, so it does rather depend what it's wanted for as well.

Transits are a good choice and the smiley-face kind are easily got in the price range suggested, and are mostly in reasonable nick. The smiley-face tranny (up to about W reg/2000) are pretty durable and will run to 200K easily if looked after.

Turbo ones are faster but you have additional complexity and potential expense if it goes wrong: both the turbo and the Lucas EPIC engine management are not on non-turbo ones.

The small LDV (200/Pilot) is narrower than a small tranny, by about 9" overall I think, which can be an advantage but makes it more cramped inside. Also they use the peugeot 1.9 engine which is underpowered.

LDV pilot/convoy are better looking and have a more up-to-dat dash etc than the 200/400s.

Other things to consider: Renault trafic/master tend to have a low rear floor and so have more headroom.

Mercs are nice but pricey.

VW transporters are small but prety good vans.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 24 May 2007 19:57:01 +0100, John Williamson enlightened us thusly:

17 including driver. Above that it's PCV. below 17 seats inc. driver you can drive on a class D1 licence NOT FOR HIRE AND REWARD. This is techincally "D1 - category restriction 1". If you have a full D1, then it doesn't apply.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

My apologies (Looks embarrassed)

I normally drive one with 40 plus seats, or a LWB series II with the normal 3 seats & 2 seat belts.

Confusion rules, which is why I normally have a look at the DVLA site first:-)

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson