1972 Ford F100 4x4

Hello all,

My neighbor has an awesome old truck that I am helping her with. It was her grandfather's farm truck and she's grown up with it but now lives far from family and hasn't found a trustworthy shop. It's a 1972 F100 4x4 with a 360 cid two barrel engine, four on the floor, no power options what so ever. It is believed to be all original except the front axle which broke a year ago on a long road trip from Montana to New Orleans via New Mexico. I just changed her oil and noted a few areas that need work.

Carb Rebuild The carb is leaking raw fuel from the bowl. I suggested rather than buying some cheap rebuild from Autozone she get a rebuild kit for it. It's supposedly original two barrel with an AUTOLITE tag and part number. I have rebuilt motorcycle carbs and am confident I can tackle this one, but are they any "gotchas" to look out for?

Front Axle The front axle is leaking from one of the outside shaft seals by the u- joint. I topped it up but suggested she replace the seal before too long. What special tools are required for this?

Mysterious Squeek There is a strange, loud squeek from the rear passenger side wheel. It's a plain squeek almost like a loose fan belt that is worst when taking off from a stop. I suspected a wheel bearing but when I jacked it up the bearing didn't feel particularly bad with only slightly more drag than the other side. Perhaps a sticking brake shoe? Suggestions? It's quite annoying and has her worried.

Thanks for any advice here. It's a cool truck and I'm just trying to help keep this old soldier on the road.

Harry

Reply to
"Harry Smith"

If/when the carb gets done try to see if the carb has a # on it, and take that with you when getting the kit.

For the axle seal I think the only special tool will be a big enough socket for the axle nut. Also raise the vehicle up as much as you safely can (on that side) so a lot of fluid doesn't come out.

As for the squeak when it was jacked up could you reproduce the squeak by spinning the tire? It could be anything from a bad bearing to the drum brake hardware breaking or maybe the backing plate rubbing..

Reply to
m6onz5a

Indeed, that's the idea. I was assuming that Autolite would be the OEM carburetor for this engine. She believes it be original but a lot can happen in 40 years.

Good to know. Perhaps I can even find out the size of the nut in advance. In related news, I have been doing further research online (see below) and people say they are supposed to ooze oil onto the u- joint for lubrication. One of them appears only damp but the other is decidedly drippy. Clearly not urgent then but perhaps down the road.

I was not able to replicate the squeak when turning the wheel by hand. I thought I was familiar with automotive squeaks and squeals but this one is strange. It really sounds like a fan belt, and occurs when accelerating from a stop as fan belt slips often do, but is definitely coming from the rear. It also sounds too high frequency to be something rubbing. As in, when the truck is barely moving it's a quick and rapid squeak, faster than the wheel would be turning. Or maybe it's an auditory illusion. Such noises can be weird.

Anyway I have discovered a website and forum dedicated exclusively to this generation Ford truck,

(lovely pun). Such narrowly focused groups seem to be stealing all the traffic from usenet, guess I may as well go with the flow.

Thanks for the help!

Harry

Reply to
"Harry Smith"