VAT added to a Transit Van minibus?

Hi all, we are looking to buy a used LDV or Transit van minibus to use as our family vehicle (Mondeo Estate is way too small) but the newer ones for sale 2000 onwards are all asking for VAT on top. We will not use the van commercially so would like to know how to go about getting such a van without VAT on top. Is it done by age, intended usage, number of seats etc... we cant work out hoew the system works.

Regards Alan

Reply to
alandav123

What Adrain says. You don't use fish and chips commercially but you still pay VAT on them (I think).

Reply to
malc

malc ("malc" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Take away food's zero-rated, IIRC.

Reply to
Adrian

That's why I said I think. I had a suspicion that they changed it during Oberleutnant Thatcher's reign BICBW.

Remove fish and chips and replace it with hammer and nails, the principle's the same.

Reply to
malc

I don't know why I know this, or even why I'm repeating it here, but VAT is charged on hot take away food.

Reply to
the.best.names.are.gone

higgins@work ("higgins@work" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I bow to your superior store of useless information. IODRC.

Reply to
Adrian

Hot take away food isn't (do you really like cold fish and chips?). And yes, the rules on this changed in the 80s some time.

One of the things a bakery can do to get round this is prepare all the things like pies just before lunch, and serve them as they're cooling down from the oven. So long as they've just had normal cooking heat and aren't explicitly kept warm, this works. Google for VAT takeaway, and the first link seemed to cover it all.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George