OT my website

Take note, Mark.

My weather site has grown slowly over the years (since 1999) and really was a mishmash of orginal hand crafted code, code from an OS/2 WYSIWYG HTML editor and laterly Mozilla Composer. It did gain a style sheet a couple of years ago that helped a bit but any other changes of a vaugely site wise nature where just a PITA.

I've nearly finished moving over to a PHP based system and co-ordinating the stylesheet better. Site wide changes are now nearly all down to editing just the relevant file, not each individual page. I get the feeling stuff loads faster as well but I can't think why the server has much more work to do...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I get around 30-40 visitors per day to my markvarleyphoto site, most of those are looking at the nudes section so I expect the traffic to match that on the new site soon. From that traffic I average 1 or 2 sales per month, 1 commission and 3 or 4 private commissions per month. Most of my artistic stuff sells through 'real' galleries of which there are many in my area. most of the wildlife and landscapes go through stock libraries.

I'm soon adding a fancy database thingy to my markvarleyphoto site which will be my main library, (family friendly, no nekkid folk) and I may use the same software on the fine-art site also, though I intend rotating the nudes on the website every few weeks/months.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

Fair point. Then your are lumbered with some form of visual deterant, either a visible watermark or reducing the resolution and upping the compression. Thus making any or decent sized prints not very nice. Which is waht you are doing... B-)

I think what miffed me of was that I wanted to scroll the background to see lower down the image. B-)

Overall using PHP or ASP will reduce the work load. Write a page that displays the image supplied in a query string. Then when you add an image to the main pages all you need to do extra is add the filname to the URLs query string.

So becomes something like .

If you want to change something on the big image page you simply edit that single view.php file and all your big images pages take on that change.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:10:55 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

all fair, but you want one decent-sized good resolution image as a sample of what's available, IMHO. Needn't be anything especially saleable, but a good, decent-sized (1200-ish pixel, say) image. There's a world of difference between a large, clear, sharp sample image and a comment about what resolution the images are available in if you buy 'em, IYSWIM.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Isn't that a bit risky, given that most are nude back shots an all...

Reply to
Mother

Any recommendations on stock libraries? I'm thinking of getting involved in a venture based in part on stock photography (not wildlife or landscape though) - what pitfalls should I be aware of?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

if you are technically good enough then

is among the best, also gettyimages.com read the contract carefully, if they want to charge you for storage then walk away. get a copy of 'the freelance photographers market handbook' it lists alot of the stock libraries and other outlets for many different types of material.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

you can't see her arse on that one, sorry. ;o)

ooo techy techy talk, I'm a photographer remember 8o(

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

Ah but if you can handle F stops, exposure times, circles of confusion, film speeds, filters, colour balance, lighting etc etc a little bit of simple scripting shouldn't be a problem. B-) All you need is a text editor, like notepad.

is hosted on Linux based server with PHP 4.3.9 probably located in the US. So your scripting pages need to be written in PHP. The online PHP manual is pretty good and the search side fairly accurate in giving the best link at the top of the results page.

Dave Liquorice

ok, I'll look into it, won't be this weekend as I'm busy tying people up.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

I had this discussion with a client who insisted on using Flash in order to prevent stuff being nicked. Seems a reasonable option.

Reply to
Mother

Yeah, add me to the list. I've sold around half a dozen sad boring pics over the last couple of years, well, not actively 'sold', more being asked if certain pics could be purchased - rangingh from 30 quid to 250. I reckon this could be a fair way of topping up my fundraising pot for the Alzheimer's Society and Macmillan Cancer Relief. Any tips remunerated with cold wet fallingoverwater :-)

For those who remember my quest for a new digital camera, I've opted for another fuji, an E550 - with optical zoom, reasonable megapixel (6.1 or 12 raw), AA batteries and uses the same memory as my F402.

I know it's not the pro type, but for my use will be fine as it offers a fair degree of manual control. I expect the results of my playing will fill further drive space on

:-)

Reply to
Mother

Don't worry about the advertising men and their distinction between 'consumer' and 'pro' cameras, they are all just tools and it's the hands holding said tool that makes a difference.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP